Wondering which is the best blogging platform to start a blog in 2022? If yes, then stick with us throughout this article.
Choosing the best blogging site is important for both beginners and professional bloggers. That’s because each platform includes a set of unique features for designing and growing your blog. Also, the cost of getting started varies.
However, selecting one from so many blog sites isn’t so easy! Trying each site and figuring them out takes a lot of time. But you don’t need to worry, we’ve made it easier for you!
In this article, we’ll compare the best blogging platforms and put them together with their pros and cons. Simply, go through them and pick one that fits your needs.
So, let’s get started!
Things to Consider Before Choosing a Blogging Platform
Your choice of a blogging platform depends on whether you are a beginner or advanced web developer. Or, if you want to focus on the design part of your blog along with the content.
But what exactly should you check when selecting your blog platform?
Here, we’ve enlisted some of the most important things to consider while selecting the best platform for your blog.
- Ease of use: Firstly, you need an easy to use platform that you can set up and configure easily. Easy to use platform helps you be more efficient.
- Cost-efficient: You have to be mindful of the budget you have while choosing a platform. There is no advantage of choosing an expensive option over cheap if it affects you.
- Monetization options: If you are thinking of becoming a full-time blogger and earning from it, then you have to choose a platform that offers better monetization options. Most blog sites may allow you to monetize your blog, however, the options may vary.
- Flexible: A good blogging platform requires a good set of features and the ability to add more as your blog grows.
- Support: Finally, look for a platform that offers best support. As, your blog changes and grows over time. You want your blogging platform to keep up with your growing blog and have support for a long time.
With that said, let’s see the best blogging platforms below.
15 Best Blogging Platforms for Making a Blog in 2022
Check out the difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com.
WordPress.org is one of the most popular blogging platforms. It’s an open-source free blogging platform used to make your website or blog within minutes.
In addition, you can edit your blog to your liking with the themes or layout you want. You don’t have any restrictions on showing different ads and affiliate marketing for monetization purposes.
- You have control over every aspect of your website or blog.
- There’re thousands of free and paid themes available for better customization.
- You can also add different features like a store, forums, and more to make it more interactive. In addition, you can sort articles with categories and tags.
- With self-hosting, there’re unlimited monetization options available and you can earn with ads.
- There’re over 59000 free plugins on WordPress.org plugin repository. These allow you to add different features.
- WordPress has a large developer community and many expert support options.
- It’s very cost-effective. You can start at around $2/mo. with cheap hosting.
- Transferring your current domain to WordPress is easy.
- Although beginner-friendly, there is a bit of learning curve for managing your website.
- You have to take care of hosting.
- However, you need to manage security, performance, and backups on your own.
How Much it Costs to Start a Blog in WordPress?
WordPress is a free open source software but you need a domain name and hosting service. This might cost around $9/year for a domain name and around $5/month for hosting.
But luckily, there are some best WordPress hosting companies like Bluehost and DreamHost that provide cost-effective plans for new bloggers. They offer hosting plans at discounted prices and also free domain names at the purchase of hosting plans.
For example, you can buy WordPress hosting for $2.95 per month and get a free domain name from Bluehost. Similarly, DreamHost also offers WordPress hosting for just $1.99 per month and a free domain name along with it.
If you’re looking for a flexible and powerful blogging platform with great opportunities to grow your blog and make money, then WordPress.org is the best for you.
Blogger is a free blogging platform run by Google. It was started by Pyra Labs in 1999 but Google acquired it in 2003. It gives a very quick and easy way to start a blog.
In addition, Blogger is one of the first blogging platforms on the internet. It provides a free blog hosting service and also gives you a free Blogspot subdomain.
Your free blog’s address will look like www.yourblogname.blogspot.com.
Also, you can integrate your blog with Google AdSense. Google will analyze your blog and display ads to monetize your blog. Although not as good as WordPress, you can still monetize your blogger blog.
- It’s a free blogging platform.
- Very easy to use and manage without any technical skills.
- Also, takes care of hosting, maintenance, and more.
- It has many mobile-responsive templates.
- It can also be integrated with Google Drive for backups and other Google products too.
- Moreover, you only need a Google account to start.
- Limited by basic blogging tools and a lack of features to add.
- There’re very few design options.
- Third-party templates are not of high quality.
- The displayed ads are not under your control.
- Google can shut-down blogs or services all together anytime it wants.
- Difficult to transition from other platforms.
What’s the Cost of Starting a Blog on Blogger?
Although it lacks customization and functionality, it costs absolutely nothing to use. It’s a completely free blogging platform. Your only expense is if you need a custom domain.
You can connect your blog with a custom domain but you’ll need to register it from a third-party domain registrar company.
People want to express their creativity and tell people stories. They’re more focused on writing rather than managing a blog. If you are one of them, who wants a simple blogging platform with no need for customization, then Blogger gets the job done pretty well.
Not sure if you should go for WordPress or Blogger? Check out our comparison WordPress vs Blogger.
Wix is one of the most versatile blogging platforms on the market. It offers solutions for different types of small businesses with a wide range of templates. Whether you own a business or a café, Wix has all sorts of templates and easy-to-use customization.
You can also add a blog to your website using Wix. You can create a great blog and website with no coding knowledge whatsoever. Wix also gives you a free subdomain.
If you use the free Wix subdomain, then your blog’s address will look like this: www.yourname.wixsite.com/blogname.
- Drag and drop design.
- Easy to use and no coding skills required.
- Different third-party apps and templates for customization.
- Different design options for different types of blogs.
- Many stock images to choose from.
- Designs your blog automatically using Artificial Intelligence (A.I).
- The free account is limited.
- Shows Wix branding and ads on your site.
- Free third-party apps are limited.
- Stuck with a template you choose at first.
- Unable to migrate to a different host.
- It’s quite difficult to transition to other platforms.
- Lacks features provided by other platforms.
- Limited eCommerce features.
What’s the Price to Get Started with a Wix Blog?
While Wix offers a free account, it’s full of branding and is very limited. The free version is only good for learning.
For custom domain and features, you have to go for the paid package which starts at $4.50 a month. In a starting paid package, you get a custom domain, 500MB of storage, and 1GB of bandwidth.
A higher package with more features can cost you up to $24.50 a month.
If you do not have any coding experience or knowledge but want to have a blog with good design, then Wix’s simple design system is best for you. Wix can be the platform you can start with.
Confused between WordPress and Wix? See our full comparison on Wix vs WordPress.
Launched in 2012, Medium is a community of writers, bloggers, experts, and journalists. Almost like Tumblr, Medium is focused on the visual aspect of blogging. It’s very easy to use a blogging platform with some social-media features.
Medium is like a social networking site, where you can post articles without much hassle. Like social media, you’ll get a subdomain and won’t be able to use your custom domain.
Your blog URL will look like www.medium.com/@yourname or www.yourname.medium.com. But if you want a custom domain, then you can register on a domain registration site like Namecheap and connect to it.
Medium has a pre-existing design layout so you don’t have to design your blog. Unlike other blogging platforms, Medium has a built-in audience. This makes it debatable if Medium is a platform or a publisher.
- Very easy and no setup is required.
- It doesn’t require any coding skills.
- It has an existing online community so reaching the audience is easy.
- Focused on writing rather than designing.
- It has a great user interface.
- You can embed content from other social media like Twitter and YouTube.
- Very few customization options.
- You don’t control the content.
- Since the audience is owned by the medium, losing a blog means losing the audience.
- You can’t use your custom domain.
- You can’t run ads and have fewer monetization options.
What’s the Cost of Building a Blog on Medium?
Medium is a free-to-use platform. It works like any other social media. Although it’s free and easy to use, a lack of customization and monetization causes people to migrate to platforms like WordPress.
If you’re not focused on monetization and want a familiar feel as social media to the platform, then Medium is best for you.
Need more ideas on whether it’s better than WordPress? Check our complete guide WordPress vs Medium now!
Like its sister site WordPress.org, WordPress.com is also a very popular blogging platform for its expert support. It’s a blog hosting service offered by Automattic company.
This is a free platform that takes care of hosting and also provides a free subdomain for you. Moreover, different features are available without the installation of different plugins. It’s best for someone who is starting and is overwhelmed by self-hosted WordPress.org.
In its free version, there’re fewer customization and editing options than WordPress.org. You also can’t run advertisements in your WordPress.com blog and also don’t have control over ads shown by WordPress themselves.
There’re different packages to unlock different additional features. The free version gives you a subdomain, which looks like www.yourblogname.wordpress.com.
- Easy to use and manage.
- No hosting setup is required.
- It’s free and you don’t have to manage the hosting.
- Provides expert support.
- Built-in community functions.
- No need to worry about maintenance.
- Limited options on the free version.
- Lack of custom themes and plugins.
- You do not own your blog as you do in .org version.
- You can’t control the ads shown by WordPress.
How Much Money Do I Need to Start a WordPress.com Blog?
The free version of WordPress.com is very limiting and filled with branding. But, for the free version, you are not billed anything, and hosting is taken care of too.
The paid plans with more customization options range around $4 to $25 a month when billed annually. Paid plans provide more storage, support, and features as price increases. It also offers a pricing plan for eCommerce which is $45 per month.
WordPress.com is excellent for starting and learning. When your blog grows or if you want control over monetization and more features, you can easily transfer to WordPress.org.
Want to know more, then check our article on WordPress.com vs WordPress.org.
Bluehost is a popular web hosting platform that has good support for WordPress sites. Now, it has also introduced a user-friendly WordPress site builder. So, it provides an all-in-one solution for building your blog. Hence, you can easily set up and start running your blog in no time.
You can easily create your blog without any coding skills. Just use drag and drop while creating an awesome blog site.
Talking about the user experience it’s super easy to use. The user interface is modern and sleek and the user experience is great while building your blog.
They also provide you with a free domain for a year in WordPress and dedicated hosting plans. In addition, you’ll also get free SSL for your blog site.
- Simple and easy to use
- Fast and high-performance servers
- 24/7 customer support
- Variety of web hosting plans
- 1 click WordPress site builder
- Stock image library for your blog
- eCommerce dedicated hosting
- SEO Optimization with built-in tools
- Expensive domain plans
- HIgh renew charges
- US-only servers
How Much it Costs to Start a Blog on Bluehost Site Builder?
Bluehost is a paid platform. You need to pay according to the plans you choose. It has pricing plans with monthly, 12 months, and 36 months plans.
The monthly plan and 12 months plan come with basic pricing that costs $2.95. This pricing is perfect for blogs and personal websites. Whereas, 36 monthly plans cost $4.95 monthly.
Also, has a pro plan perfect for business websites and online stores, costing $9.95 monthly and yearly. To receive 36 months plan, you’ll need to pay $12.95 monthly on a 36-month term.
You’ll also have an online store plan perfect for online stores with product shipping, this costs $24.95 monthly. Also, you can get 36 months plan for $32.95 monthly on a 36-month term.
This is fantastic if you’re a beginner blogger. The cheapest plan starts from just $2.95 per month with free domain and security. Also, you can scale your blog in the future with more hosting plans available.
Tumblr is more of a microblogging platform with social media features like reblogging and sharing. It’s focused on a community of bloggers and is very famous among the young audience.
In addition, it’s easy to use and with its social media features, it feels more like social media than blogging. This platform focuses more on the visual aspect of blogging and shorter content than being text-based.
However, these features can be a good thing as well as bad depending on your blogging needs. It’s quite different from other blogging platforms but claims to have 500+ million different blogs.
- It has a childlike simplicity and very interactive design.
- It’s a responsive design and is suitable for mobile platforms.
- Also, Tumblr is free and easy to use.
- Hosting is taken care of and provides a subdomain.
- Has sharing and reblogging features.
- Easy to publish content.
- It doesn’t provide features that are provided by other platforms.
- Very different from other platforms so might be hard to get used to.
- Backing up your content is hard.
- Features can’t be extended as the blog grows.
- Tumblr doesn’t have monetization options and you have to depend on posts sponsorship.
Tumblr is free to use and provides hosting features for free. It also provides a subdomain that looks like this: www.yourblogname.tumblr.com.
You can integrate custom domain names you get from third-party providers. You can also purchase third-party themes and pricing depends on your choice.
Young bloggers with a young audience will find Tumblr an easy to operate and familiar platform. If your blog works well with the social media approach, then Tumblr is the best for you.
To learn more, check our side-by-side WordPress vs Tumblr comparison.
Substack is home to great writers, as it offers a very minimalist interface. It’s an online platform for publishing newsletters. Also, Substack allows you to send newsletter emails to your subscribers.
In addition, it provides simple and powerful publishing. Therefore, you can spend all your time on writing, and Substack will take care of everything else. Also, you’ll own your content, your IP, and your mailing list.
Moreover, it comes with more features like subscription publishing, where you can choose which posts to publish as free or only paid subscribers. Also, quickly switching to Substack takes less than 5 minutes. You can import your content and mailing list from WordPress, Medium, and even some custom web pages.
- Substack is free to sign up and start publishing
- It’s easy to set up and use.
- Allows you to add short audio notes to the newsletter.
- You retain all rights to the work you publish.
- You can add paid subscriptions and keep 90% of the revenue.
- It provides limited integration with third-party apps.
- This platform gets expensive if you’ve many paying subscribers.
- Plus, offers only limited blogging and SEO features.
What’s the Cost of Starting a Blog on Substack?
Substack allows free publishing. Also, you can send free newsletters to your free subscribers. however, if you add paid subscription, Substack charges 10%. However, the price of this platform rises as per the growth of your paid subscribers.
Substack is created for writers who want to publish a blog or newsletters. If you are one of them then Substack is for you. Also, you’ll get access to a variety of tools that’ll help you create a clean post and add social share buttons, images, etc.
Jimdo offers the cheapest way to build an ad-free website. With Jimdo you can build different types of websites, including fitness, personal website, etc. You don’t require any coding knowledge to use this platform.
Also, it offers a Legal Text Generator in partnership with Trusted shops. This automatically creates customized legal text that is 100% GDPR-proof. You’ll also get updates about legal changes with automatic notifications.
Moreover, you can create your website and get a custom domain to match your company. Plus, the custom domain is free for the first contract term.
- It comes with a simple editing interface.
- Unlimited storage space on its business plan or higher.
- It’s optimized for mobile devices.
- Limited customization tools.
- Restrictive help and support are provided to non-premium plans.
What’s the Cost of Creating a Blog Site on Jimdo?
You can try Jimdo blogging platform for free. Also, Jimdo is available in 2 pricing plans Website and Online Store.
The website plan comes with 3 pricing options. You can build your website with a Start plan for $9 per month. Also, create your business website with Grow plan for $15. It’s the bestseller plan for Jimdo. Finally, get the Unlimited plan for $39 per month with unlimited storage, and premium support within an hour.
Jimdo is perfect for beginners who are fine with the free version. If you are a minimalist blogger and looking for an elegant website design. Then, Jimdo is the one for you.
It has many useful features and also can be edited by coding. For instance, live preview while writing helps you correct your mistakes while coding or writing.
Like WordPress, Ghost also has a self-hosting platform and hosted platform.
Moreover, it offers a clean and easy-to-use interface with a responsive design that works on mobile platforms too. Its interface is often preferable to other platforms.
- Emphasis on blogging and writing.
- Clean, minimalist and intuitive interface.
- Live blog posts preview.
- It has built-in SEO and social media capabilities.
- The configuration options are limited.
- It has a limited number of themes.
- It’s not easy to customize with apps.
- Self-hosting is difficult to use.
What’s the Cost of Creating a Blog with Ghost?
The self-hosted version of Ghost software is free to use. But it can be complex for absolute beginners. You have to pay about $15/year for a hosting account and around $8/month for a domain that can depend on availability.
The hosted platform is easy and you don’t have to worry about hosting and domain. It comes with different package offers.
The basic starter package starts with $11/month and you can get around $2/month off for annual billing. This pricing includes 500 members, a Content Delivery Network (CDN), custom domain support, etc.
The higher price package comes with more volume of these features and the highest can be around $249/month. You can also get around $50/month off for annual billing.
If you write a blog about minimalism and want a platform with an elegant design that is focused on blog posts rather than design. Then Ghost is a great platform to try out. It’ll sit well with a minimalist style.
Furthermore, you can use Joomla for corporate websites or portals, small business websites, online magazines, and more. Plus, if you’re an agency that develops websites for customers, Joomla is the perfect tool for you.
Moreover, Joomla’s powerful application framework makes it easy for developers to create add-ons. Also, the core Joomla Framework enables developers to quickly and easily build inventory control systems, data reporting tools, and more.
- Joomla is free, open-source blogging platform.
- It’s great for beginners.
- Also, great for SEO (search engine optimization).
- It has caching and performance mechanisms.
- It provides VirtueMart eCommerce solution, that is great for E-commerce.
- Moreover, offers remium extentions like JomSocial, HikaShop, and more.
- It’s more complex than WordPress.
- You need to rely on premium extentions as free extentions doesn’t provide much functionality.
How Much Money It Costs to Start a Blog on Joomla?
Joomla costs absolutely nothing to use. It’s a completely free blogging platform. But you’ll need to invest money in web hosting and domain name.
Joomla is perfect for both beginners and professional developers. So, if you’re looking for a free platform with robust functionality, then Joomla! is the one for you. It can also be a great alternative for WordPress.
Weebly is one of the most popular blogging platforms with around 30 million users. It’s a great blogging platform for a pre-established business.
Moreover, it provides a wide range of features like drag and drop design tool which is useful to design with no knowledge of coding. Weebly is used for blogging and building websites.
Also, it’s easy to use if a business wants to integrate a website with a blog. It might have some learning curve but it’s quite powerful and has many useful features.
For instance, it offers a step-by-step guide on how to build and launch a website. Plus, you’ll have eCommerce tools to simplify order management, shipping, and payments of online stores.
- Very easy to use.
- Designing is easy with drag and drop building tools.
- Good selection of mobile apps.
- Integrates with Google analytics.
- It has strong SEO features.
- There’re a few integrated features.
- There is a limited number of third-party integrations.
- Free plans have Weebly branding on sites and subdomains.
- It’s difficult to export sites.
What’s the Cost of Building a Blog on Weebly?
Weebly offers a free account with a maximum of 500MB storage, free SSL security, and a domain with Weebly branding. Your free blog’s address will look like this: www.yourblogname.weebly.com.
You can overcome this with a paid option. The starting paid option is $5/month which comes with a custom domain. If you want more features like statistics, membership options, video backgrounds, and many more, then the cost can range from $12 to $25 a month.
If you want to integrate an online store, Weebly has a different eCommerce option for it. It’ll cost you $38 per month with advanced eCommerce features and email marketing.
Weebly is perfect if you are a beginner blogger and are okay with the free version. Weebly is good to set up your portfolio if you have no coding skills.
Squarespace is a website builder tool with easy drag and drops design tools. It offers a wide variety of templates that are flexible and easy to use. You can use these templates to build a portfolio website, online store, blogs, etc.
It’s a blogging platform that doesn’t require any coding knowledge to create a beautiful website. This mainly focuses on small business owners who are looking for an easy way to create an online presence.
Moreover, it provides support for a growing blog or business. It has many features that can help in marketing your business. Squarespace will help you to stand out in any inbox with Squarespace Email Campaigns. You can create powerful email marketing content with your existing products, blog posts, and logo.
- It’s beginner-friendly and easy to use.
- Squarespace includes hosting and custom domains in its package.
- Different beautiful and attractive design templates.
- It has eCommerce functionality.
- It comes with built-in SSL encryption.
- In addition, you’ll get a good support from the Squarespace support forum.
- Limited with only using features provided by the platform.
- Very few third-party integrations.
- The online store package is more expensive than average.
How Much Money is Needed to Start a Squarespace Blog?
Squarespace has different types of paid plans for websites and online stores. The personal plan is at around $12/month and the business plan is at around $18/month. Both offer unlimited storage and bandwidth. However, the business plan includes marketing features and the ability to create online stores.
The price can go up to $40 for an online store. This pricing plan includes everything offered by the business plan. Plus, the Abandoned Cart Recovery feature sends automated email reminders to customers who abandoned the checkout process.
Because of the expense, people often switch to WordPress. If you want to create a truly beautiful design business or a professional blog and want to invest money into it, then Squarespace is for you. It’s suitable for professional eCommerce stores and business owners.
Also, you can check our article on WordPress vs Squarespace for more information.
GoDaddy is a popular domain name registration company on the market. To help users start blogging in an even easier way, it’s now launched a website builder and a blogging platform. It comes with templates for almost any type of website like art, food, home decor, and more.
Simply pick a design and use the drag-and-drop editor to add your own image or text. You can create a simple website or a complex one as per your desire. It also allows you to add a full online store with product listing, coupons, shopping cart, and more.
In addition, it includes email marketing and provides a free 1-month trial period. Although there’re not many customization options, it’s like a blank canvas and you can design it from scratch. You can easily edit or add entire sections like a photo gallery, menu, or price lists.
- It’s easy to get started.
- Also, guides you through the start.
- Integrated social and email marketing feature.
- Easy to create an online store.
- On-the-go editing.
- Offers SSL encryption and 24/7 support.
- Mobile optimized platform.
- It looks plain and simple.
- Many features need improvements.
- Hard to import and export with other blogging platforms.
- Lacks good SEO.
What’s Amount on Money Needed to Start Blogging with GoDaddy?
It has different paid plans. All plans include an SSL certificate, 24/7 support, on-the-go editing, and a mobile-friendly platform. Also, the basic plan starts at around $6.99/month.
The business plan starts at around $10.49/month and includes the addition of SEO. Likewise, the premium plan is around $13.99/month and includes some marketing features. You can also start an eCommerce website with $14.99 per month. The 1-month free trial is available on every plan.
If you want your blog SSL certified and have a responsive design, then GoDaddy website builder can be a decent blogging site. But being open to other options might help you find good platforms.
HostGator is one of the popular website hosting platforms. It provides a website builder and blogging platform called ‘Gator’. Moreover, Gator offers a drag and drop design tool that lets you easily create a blog or website.
It might be easy to confuse it with HostGator. HostGator is a hosting platform whereas Gator is a blogging platform. Since it’s made by the hosting company, the backups and security are all handled by HostGator.
It’s also a great all-in-one hosting and blogging platform with tons of features. For instance, the email marketing feature sends automated emails. Also, a scheduling and calendar tool for appointment booking.
- Easy drag and drop builder.
- Also, easy and quick setup.
- Backups, performance, and security are handled by HostGator.
- Free domain and Free SSL certificate are included in all plans.
- In addition, easy to customize and upgrade your blog.
- It has great support and different customizable templates.
- There is no free package.
- eCommerce features are restricted to higher-tier packages.
- Limited apps and extensions.
Pricing for Starting a Blog on Gator
Gator Website Builder comes with 3 different plans. The starter plan starts at around $3.84/month and includes a free domain, free hosting, and SSL certificate. It includes 24-hour support and site analytics.
Also, the premium plan starts at around $5.99/month and the eCommerce plan starts at around $9.22/month with different eCommerce functionality.
If you’re a beginner blogger and are searching for a good WordPress alternative, then the Gator is the best for you.
What’s Our Recommended Blog Platform?
The right blogging platform for you depends on your needs and ability. But we have picked the best platforms on the market so that you can take it as a reference.
We believe that WordPress.org is the best platform that overperforms all other blogging platforms. It’s powerful, easy to use, affordable, and the most flexible of all available blogging platforms.
However, you need a domain and hosting account to start with WordPress.org. But with the right services chosen, you can make the best blog possible with WordPress.
For example, use one of the best managed WordPress hosting platform services! Starting your blog is easy. Once setup is done, you’ll have a high-performance, speedy, and secure blog! You can then focus on creating great blog articles and monetization!
Moreover, it’s compatible with almost every kind of need and requirement. Also, it’s very cost-effective. You can always go for a .com version if you don’t care about monetization and be okay with less customization.
So, that’s all folks! Here, we’ve listed the best blogging platforms in 2022. Hope you liked it and were able to determine the one for building your blogging website.
The list contains some of the top options for a fully functioning blogging website. You don’t have to go for the best of best when starting a blog website. Simply start with a simpler one and always upgrade to more when you get familiar with blogging.
However, we want our readers to choose wisely, so first, try and test the platforms of your preference. You can find platforms that provide trial periods free of cost. And, if you still have any confusion, then post your queries in the comment below. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Also, if you’re using any of the platforms, then let’s know your experience in the comment below.