Are you looking for the best free WordPress membership plugins? Want to create a membership site in WordPress? If yes then, you’re in the right place.
Creating a membership website lets you build a membership system on your site and provide different types of access to the members. For example, you can create exclusive content which only paying members can access. This way, you can also generate a great income.
You need a good membership plugin to create a well-functioning membership site. So, here we’ll show you 12 best free WordPress membership plugins. .
What is a Membership Website?
A membership website is a popular type of website specifically built for providing content to its members only. They contain lots of content and resources like other sites but the content can be accessed only by the registered users or the members.
For example, you can look at the popular video streaming platform Netflix. It’s a membership site. It has tons of movies, documentaries, and other videos, but only registered and paid users can watch them.
In contrast, SiteSaga.com is not a membership site. All of its content is available to all users, either registered or not.
Netflix is just an example. Membership sites are used for various purposes.
For instance, content or product creators use it to sell their premium products. Ebooks, podcasts, e-courses, webinars, digital products like software, WordPress plugins, etc. are common types of content offered by membership sites.
Not only that, big business organizations use a membership site to manage their team, share content within the team, etc.
Hence, membership websites can offer their services for payment, free, or a mix of both.
How to Choose the Best WordPress Membership Plugin?
Now let’s talk about some of the things that you might need to consider before choosing a WordPress membership plugin for your website. You can find plenty of WordPress membership plugins, but not all can suit your website model.
However, let’s talk about a few points you need to consider before choosing a WordPress membership plugin for your website.
- Your membership plugin must let you restrict content whether it’s entire or some portion of posts and pages.
- Those plugins must provide and integrate with different payment gateways. And go with those platforms that your target audience prefers and supports currencies too.
- Make sure it offers drip content. As it lets you release the content slowly for your audiences.
- Go with that plugin that can generate coupons and lets you create a variety of custom discount offers.
- Check whether or not it allows you to create different membership levels or not. Such as Bronze > Silver > Gold > Platinum.
If you’re still confused regarding how to choose a WordPress plugin, then check our detailed blog on how to choose the best WordPress plugins?
Now, let’s look at the best free WordPress membership for 2021.
12 Best Free WordPress Membership Plugins 2021
In this list, we’ve included all the best free WordPress membership plugins. Go through the description and features and decide which is right for your site.
The WP-Members membership plugin is the best free WordPress membership plugin that you can use to restrict content. With 80,000+ active installations, it’s the easiest to use and the most powerful when it comes to features. With this, you can restrict premium content, create custom registration fields, and more.
WP-Members also allows you to restrict content either by restricting content as restricted or hidden, limiting access to registered users. At the same time, it’s simple to install and configure, yet highly scalable.
- You can use it to restrict or hide posts, pages, and custom page types.
- It notifies the admin whenever the new user registration is made.
- Every new registration is kept on hold unless the admin approves it.
- It limits the menu item to logged-in users.
- Also, creates custom registration and profile fields.
Restrict Content is another easy-to-use WordPress membership plugin. It’s a free plugin that lets you restrict access based on user role. It makes sure that your posts and pages are only viewable for logged-in members only. Besides, it comes with all the features that you’d need to get started on your membership website.
Using it, you protect sensitive content, control user access, collect emails, restrict access to entire pages or septic sections, and more. It even restricts access to images and other media files that are embedded within a post or page. However, it doesn’t protect the original file URL on the server.
- It limits access to full content via a simple interface on the post, page, and custom post-type editing screens.
- Use shortcodes to limit access to the content.
- It displays a registration form for new accounts on any page of your website.
- Also, you can optionally hide content in RSS feeds.
A premium-looking membership plugin ARMember provides unlimited membership levels, drip content, restricted content, and more. It’s quite easy to operate and also has a great modern user interface.
Furthermore, it comes with front-end member registration, login edit profile, forgot password, and change password page. Its inbuilt security features come with brute-force login protection, CAPTCHA mechanism, and site access restrictions.
- It allows the members to delete their accounts.
- Comes with advanced drag and drop registration and login form builder.
- Supports payment gateway integrations with PayPal, Stripe, and more.
- Provides an easy member management system for managing user’s membership status.
- Also, it has an inbuilt anti-spam mechanism.
With 10,000+ active installations, Paid Member Subscriptions is one of the best free WordPress membership plugins. It’s a lightweight yet flexible plugin that gives you access to a good amount of functionality. Such as accepting member payments, managing members, creating subscription plans, and more.
This plugin lets you restrict entire posts, pages, or custom post types, or just portions of them. You can restrict access to premium content that allows only paying users to view it. Also, it provides discount codes for running promotions or rewarding your members for upgrading their membership level.
- It perfectly integrates with WooCommerce and allows you to create a member-only store.
- You can easily add or edit members or edit their subscription details.
- Allows you to create an unlimited number of hierarchical subscription plans. Example: Free, Silver, Gold.
- It restricts access to content based on a user’s membership level.
- Also, it creates front-end member registration and login forms.
As the name suggests, Simple Membership is an extremely simple yet powerful WordPress membership plugin. It lets you protect your posts and pages so that only your members can view the protected content. You can create unlimited membership levels and protect your content using the membership levels that you’ve created.
This plugin will provide a user-friendly interface that protects the selected post or page for your member. Likewise, the non-member will need to log in or become a member for viewing that protected page.
- You can easily add a member login widget on the sidebar of your website.
- For developers, it offers lots of action and filter hooks that let you customize the plugin.
- It keeps payment logs of all the payments that are made by your members.
- It makes sure that the login and registration widgets are responsive if you use a responsive theme.
- Also, it has an option to automatically log out the members when they close their web browser.
Restrict User Access is yet another free WordPress membership plugin. You can restrict your content to control what your users get access to or drip content over time. It allows you to create an unlimited number of access levels and override user role capabilities.
Furthermore, it helps you quickly let you set up a membership website where your users can get different levels. Indeed it comes with built-in lockout prevention that prevents admin from lockout. Also, you can restrict unauthorized users to a page or custom pages.
- Easy to use and doesn’t require any coding.
- You can conditionally restrict all your posts, pages, categories, or any content you want.
- It supports custom post types and taxonomies.
- Also, provides built-in support for the most popular WordPress plugins.
Developed by WP Sharks, s2member Framework is a powerful membership plugin. It lets you protect your WordPress content and also users get a secure checkout solution to get access.
Similarly, you can use it to protect the whole website, certain areas, or even just parts of pages. It offers free subscriptions and synchronizes user roles with the new membership system. Also, you can customize the content restrictions using simple shortcode conditionals.
- It’s easy to configure and highly extensible.
- It protects downloadable files and streaming audio/video.
- You can configure specific portions of your content with levels or access capabilities.
- It lets you sell specific posts/pages file downloads or access capabilities.
- Also, it properly integrates with PayPal’s website payment standard.
Ultimate Member is the best user profile, user registration, and membership plugin for WordPress. As it includes a wider range of features including member directories, user login, user role editing, and content restriction. It even has over 200,000 websites that use it to power its online community and membership websites.
Ultimate Member lets you create a login form effortlessly from the front-end of their website. It automatically creates triple anti-spam protection including hidden honey-point field and WordPress nonce. Also, its powerful drag-and-drop form builder lets you reorder any elements of the form.
- It allows users to easily register and become members all from the front-end of their website.
- Users can fully customize their profile in a unique look by changing the cover photo aspects, profile photo shape, and more.
- You can generate permission for a user based on role to edit or delete their profiles.
- It allows you to find each other with ease using their advanced member directories.
- Also, you can add email tags to the email templates for personalizing the emails.
If you’re looking for a powerful WordPress online course, membership, and learning management system, then LifterLMS is the one for you. It lets you build, sell, and protect engaging online courses and training-based membership websites. As it’s an all-in-one affordable LMS plugin that works with all the WordPress themes and page builders.
Likewise, you can easily make money online by building a strong income-generating teaching business or membership website. It allows you to restrict access to certain posts, courses, pages, and more with membership lockdown options.
- You can easily create online courses with its multi-tier drag-and-drop course builder.
- You can protect your learner focus by creating lessons available over time.
- With one-click export, you can easily download all the courses from the website.
- It allows you to boost your course sales by making payment plan options.
Members are a well-known WordPress membership and user role editor plugin from MemberPress. With over 200,000 active installations, it gives you the ultimate member experience by providing you powerful tools to add roles and capabilities.
It allows you to set permissions to restrict content on your site. Best of all, it provides a simple UI for WordPress’s powerful roles and capabilities. You can protect content to determine which users’ roles have access to post content. Also, it lets you make your website completely private if you want.
- It allows you to create, edit, and delete roles along with capabilities for these roles.
- You can deny specific capabilities to specific user roles.
- It seamlessly integrates with MemberPress.
- Use shortcodes to control who has access to content.
- Also, you can build a new role by cloning an existing one.
11. WP User Frontend
Developed by weDevs, WP User Frontend is the best WordPress membership, profile, and registration plugin. It provides a frontend editor & publishing, and a frontend uploader for WordPress user profiles, post submissions, and memberships.
You can enable guests to post from your site frontend without registering with WP User Frontend. In fact, you can redirect users to another page after logging in, form submission, or edit form submission. Also, creates subscription packs, pay-per-posts & receive payments from users
- Allows you to easily add published forms in Gutenberg editor using WPUF blocks.
- Registered users can update their profiles using the default field from the frontend without having backend access.
- You can easily fill your form with fields using drag-and-drop form builder.
- You can enable user roles to make posts, create unauthorized messages you want to show.
- Also, displays custom field data in the post.
At last, we’ve User Registration by WPEverest which is the best WordPress registration form plugin. With its powerful drag-and-drop builder, you can create a frontend user registration form and login form. It’s quite lightweight, extendible, and can be used to create any type of registration form.
Using this, you can create simple yet beautiful WordPress registration forms for your membership website. It comes with smart conditional logic that helps you make your registration form even more interactive. Also, other features like form import-export, login options, invitation code, shortcode support, and more.
- Allows you to restrict WordPress users to access pages, posts, categories.
- It provides a user profile account for a quick view of all the user information.
- Automatically send email notifications to your users as soon as they register on your website.
- Uses Google reCaptcha to identify fake users before registration.
- Also, it integrates with the popular WooCommerce plugins.
That’s about it. These are some lists of the best free WordPress membership plugins for your website. We hope that you’ll agree with our list of the best free WordPress membership plugins.
Lastly, we would like to recommend our favorite WordPress membership plugins i.e. WP-Members. Because it’s extremely popular and it’s super easy-to-use and beginner-friendly at the same time.
If you’ve any further queries about the WordPress membership plugins for the website, then please leave a comment below. We’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible.