Are you eager to know the names of the best membership site examples? If yes, then you’re on the right page.
Creating a membership website is a hassle-free task nowadays. There are tons of equally good website builders in the market. And by picking any particular website builder, you can build it on your own. So, it saves some penny that gets spent on hiring a developer.
But these all things come once you get inspired by seeing those actual sites. Hence, keeping that in mind, we’ve compiled some of the best membership site examples.
So, let’s get started.
What is a Membership Website? (A Brief Introduction)
A membership site is a popular website type with exclusive content that can be accessed only by its members. To be more specific, not anyone can view it. Only those who’ve registered can access and make use of it.
It’s used by businesses, non-profit organizations, universities, companies, associations, etc.
Also, it’s termed a gated site, meaning one has to log in to access the site’s content that’s hidden behind the gates.
An ideal example of a membership site is Udemy. It’s a top online learning platform that has thousands of online courses in different languages. But, you can only access it after signing up for free or by paying.
To sum up, membership websites can have different levels of membership. Also, that determines what kind of content he/she can access. Most importantly, it’s a great way to earn a bucket full of money.
Which Features Make a Membership Site Different from Others?
A membership site allows users to access content only after they become a member. And the content can be podcasts, webinars, tutorials, digital products, and more.
These membership websites include some unique features different from other normal ones. So, let’s see them:
- Members-only Area: On a membership site, users need to register (with or without payment) to access the exclusive content. On top of that, they also get their user profiles from where they can carry out their activities.
- Membership Levels: Moreover, you can set different membership options or levels on your site. With a freemium business model, you get to deliver free and multiple premium content.
- Online Payment Processing System: Membership sites use an online payment processing system that allows customers to pay for their memberships multiple times.
With that, let’s move ahead to the main topic!
27 Best Membership Site Examples to Get Inspired From
Below we’ve listed the best membership business site examples in 2022. And also to mention we’ve picked them by checking their domain authority, page authority, and spam score.
A. Online Course & Training Membership Site Examples
Smart Passive Income Courses provide informative knowledge for building a successful online business. Each of the content or courses is designed with an aim to help entrepreneurs flourish their online businesses. Moreover, their website offers 20+ courses by Pat Flynn, which come up in different price ranges.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online training and courses on Creating Successful Online Business.
- Target Audience/ Users: Online entrepreneurs, affiliate marketers, podcasters, etc.
- Membership type and pricing: One-time payment. Some free courses. And the premium ones have a price range from $99 to $999.
- Facebook: Smart Passive Income with Pat Flynn
Dunbar Academy offers training courses that teach you how to train a dog in the simple and best possible manner. You can get a free collection of courses that includes behavior and training tips for dog owners and professionals. Also, it has a Top Dog Academy Subscription, which has a bundle of courses. Furthermore, that’ll cost you $20 per month.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online training and courses on Dog’s Behavior.
- Target Audience/ Users: Dog owners and professionals.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription. This is a subscription that automatically renews at $20 each month until you cancel.
- Facebook: Dunbar Academy
Personal Development School is an interactive online learning platform that teaches you how to transform into the best version of yourself. Also, the course ranges from overcoming your anxiety and creating a money mindset to healing your relationships. Additionally, as a member, you can get access to 45+ courses, live weekly webinars, and much more.
- Membership-based service/ content: In-depth courses and interactive workbooks for improving every aspect of life.
- Target Audience/ Users: People with stress, anxiety issues, and depression.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription. It comes up in 3 different pricing plans:
- All-access pass: $67 per month. You can gain access to all features and courses during your subscription.
- Single course: $89.25 one-time payment. You can gain access to a single course for life.
- Lifetime access: $1799 one-time payment. You can gain access to all features and courses for life.
- Instagram: Personal Development School
- Youtube: Personal Development School – Thais Gibson
4. Kid Explorer
Kid Explorer is a content creation platform that makes learning fun for kids. It features educational and fun content for making kids explore and discover a lot of things. Moreover, you can get your hands on these informative, entertaining courses by becoming a Kid Explorer Club Member. Also, it covers other various shows like Kid Fit Go, Kid History, Kid Explorer Podcast, etc.
- Membership-based service/ content: Educational courses and shows for making kids smart, knowledgeable, and joyful.
- Target Audience/ Users: Made for kids.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription. You can purchase the courses individually, and the price ranges from $10 to 15$. Also, you can become a Kid Explorer Club Member and get full access to everything for $10/month.
- Youtube: Kid Explorer
Membership Academy is packed with in-depth, practical training and resources for running and growing a successful membership website. It’ll help you to build a business that generates a ton of recurring income. Apart from that, it also guides you in attracting more members and keeping them engaged in your site for longer.
- Membership-based service/ content: In-depth courses, training, and workshops for creating and growing a successful membership site.
- Target Audience/ Users: Entrepreneurs, small business owners, membership site owners, etc.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription. It’s available in various payment options:
- Pay Monthly: $65 per month.
- Pay Annually: $590 per year.
- Facebook: The Membership Guys
Society of Visual Storytelling offers online illustration classes taught by professional illustrators. It includes a broad selection of classes that covers many different topics to turn you into the best possible artist. In addition to that, it also has a podcast available with streaming and downloading options. Also, learning illustration is made simpler with its well-designed curriculum.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online illustration classes to turn you into a fine artist.
- Target Audience/ Users: Artists
- Membership type and pricing: The Freemium Model. You can try the membership free for 30 days. And after that, you will get to choose one of the following subscription plans:
- Annual Subscription: $16.5
- Monthly Subscription: $24.99
- Twitter: SVSLearn
- Instagram: svslearn
Booya Fitness provides you access to the most popular boutique workouts just sitting in your home. It has a range of workouts from barre to Bollywood to Cardio Kickbox and much more right at your fingertips. Also, with the monthly membership, you’ll get all the types of online classes. And you can even download them in case of no-wifi.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online fitness classes to make you feel confident and in shape.
- Target Audience/ Users: Anyone who wants to keep their fitness to the optimum level.
- Membership type and pricing: The Freemium Model. It gives you free access for the first month. After the free trial, you can choose a plan:
- $9.99 for 1 month.
- $26.99 for 3 months
- $99.99 for 12 months
- YouTube: Booya Fitness
8. Lasater yoga
Lasater yoga is an online sangha that provides all kinds of meditative and yoga techniques in the comfort of your home. Judith Hanson Lasater is the founder of it. Also, you’ll be receiving all the mentorship from her. She’s one of America’s leading yoga teachers and has been teaching yoga all over the world since 1971.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online classes for the betterment of your physical and mental health.
- Target Audience/ Users: Anyone who wants to be stress-free and live life to the fullest.
- Membership type and pricing: One-time payment. Prices range from $39 to $1008.
- Instagram: Lizzie Lasater
9. Olive Knits
Olive Knits provide tools, resources & skills to sharpen your sweater knitting skills to another level. It got its name Olive Knits because of the love for knits, says the Founder Marie Greene. Her classes never expire, and you’ll have ongoing access once you register into it. Furthermore, the website also features products where you can buy sweaters, shawls, etc.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online classes & workshops for fearless knitting.
- Target Audience/ Users: Knitters & Creatives.
- Membership type and pricing: One-time payment. Prices range from $129 to $449.
- Facebook: Olive Knits
10. Sew It! Academy
Sew It! Academy trains you to sew by mastering the fundamentals of sewing. Not only that, you’ll learn sewing, pattern making, draping, fitting, sketching, and a lot more. It includes step-by-step video courses for womenswear, menswear, and children. Also, most importantly, new courses are added monthly, prioritizing the skill from every perspective.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online course & training on learning to sew.
- Target Audience/ Users: Fashion designers, creative & crafty person, learners, etc.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription. You can sign up for a free trial and get a discounted monthly rate. And, it comes in different pricing plans.
- Womenswear: $11.97/month.
- Menswear: $11.97/month.
- Women’s & Menswear: $17.97/month.
- Kids Only: $39.99, One-time payment.
- Instagram: sewitacademy
11. Kesler Science
Kesler Science features engaging content that helps 5th-8th grade students to understand difficult science concepts. Also, with the membership, you’ll have access to all of the classroom materials. And also, get a chance to have a live professional development session with one of the best Science educators, Steve Spangler.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online lessons & ideas for grabbing science-related knowledge.
- Target Audience/ Users: Middle school Science students and teachers.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription. You can enroll in the monthly membership that costs $29.99/month. Otherwise, annual membership is available for $299/year.
- Twitter: Chris Kesler
- Instagram: keslerscience
12. Nomadic Matt
Nomadic Matt is a popular travel blog site and also one of the best membership site examples. It offers some free resources for travelers. And if you want more, then you can subscribe to its membership tiers. As a Nomadic Matt Plus member, you’ll gain access to different levels of premium content like travel tips, stories, Q&As, writing courses, travel discounts, etc.
- Membership-based service/content: Stories, advice, writing courses, autographed books, etc. about traveling.
- Target Audience/Users: Other travelers or people who love to travel.
- Membership type and pricing: It uses a freemium model. So, it gives some free content. While the premium content is in 2 tiers.
- The Backpacker: $5/mo, you’ll get stories, guides, tips, etc.
- The Globetrotter: $25/mo, all the previous benefits, autographed books, etc.
- Facebook: Nomadic Matt
- Instagram: Matt Kepnes | Nomadic Matt
B. Mentorship & Coaching Membership Site Examples
Fizzle is helpful if you want to grow or build a successful online business. The courses provide essential tips and strategies for making the most out of your business. Furthermore, members can get access to premium courses, live coaching sessions, and workshops. Also, it features a podcast that covers a range of topics, including SEO, productivity, etc.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online courses & podcasts for the growth of the online business.
- Target Audience/ Users: Entrepreneurs, small business owners, etc.
- Membership type and pricing: The Freemium Model. You can try Fizzle free for 10 days. A monthly subscription will cost you $49/month. And an annual subscription comes up at $299/year.
- Twitter: Fizzle
The Marketing Fix provides you the expert advice to take your business to a whole new level. Also, the courses cover topics like branding, building your website, SEO, and social media. Moreover, the membership includes all the courses, live online teaching events, live support from the co-working sessions, etc.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online courses & training for thriving your marketing and business.
- Target Audience/ Users: Photographers, designers, artists, makers, and digital businesses of all types.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription. You can get a monthly subscription for $39/month. The annual subscription will cost you $390/year.
- Facebook: The Marketing Fix Membership
BizChix provides the foundation by which women entrepreneurs earn more money and gain more success in business. Also, its coaching framework focuses on various phases of strategies to create a positive impact on the business. Furthermore, BizChix offers targeted group coaching programs, one-to-one mentorship, and self-paced courses.
- Membership-based service/ content: Online courses & mentorship to empower women entrepreneurs for more glory.
- Target Audience/ Users: Women entrepreneurs and business owners.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription. Following are the plans:
- Six Figures Lab (12 months): $700/month
- Leadership Lab (12 months): $2000/month
- Strategy Sessions (12 months): $997/month
- Facebook: Biz Chix
- LinkedIn: Natalie Eckdahl
Connecting for Kids offers education and support to local families of Northeast Ohio who have concerns about their children. It has resources for numerous concerns, including anxiety, attention issues, developmental delays, epilepsy, and sensory issues. Also, most importantly, all of the programs are provided at no cost.
- Membership-based service/ content: Programs for kids better overall growth and better health both physically and mentally.
- Target Audience/ Users: Children younger than 13 years of age.
- Membership type and pricing: Free subscription. You can also help to support their programs with a donation.
- Pinterest: Connecting for Kids
- Instagram: connectforkids
17. Food Blogger Pro
Next, Food Blogger Pro is another membership website that guides creative foodies to fulfill their dream of making a successful food blog. As a member, you’ll be a part of its online courses, membership forums, and members-only Q&As. Overall, it’ll help you to easily create and run your food blog business.
- Membership-based service/content: Online courses, members-only Q&As, community forums, dedicated support from expert bloggers, etc. for setting up a food blog.
- Target Audience/Users: Food bloggers or someone willing to set up a food blog.
- Membership type and pricing: As the name says, it’s a premium service with a 60-day money-back guarantee. And you can join the membership in 2 ways:
- $99/quarter – Charged every 3 months, everything except Nutrifox yearly access.
- $350/year – Less than $1 a day and includes all features.
- Facebook: Food Blogger Pro
- Instagram: Food Blogger Pro
C. Entertainment & Video Streaming Membership Site Examples
Netflix is a widely popular subscription-based streaming service that provides access to a number of TV shows, movies, documentaries, etc. Additionally, you can download these contents and watch them without the use of an internet connection. By being a Netflix member, you’ll be charged once a month, and the price is affordable too.
- Membership-based service/ content: Stream unlimited movies, TV shows, and more on any device.
- Target Audience/ Users: Movie lovers, everyone.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription. Plans range from $3.99 to $11.99 a month.
- YouTube: Netflix
- Instagram: Netflix
KweliTV showcases high-quality independent films, documentaries, web series, kids’ programming, etc. Its mission is to create content that reflects the true global black experience as mainstream media. By joining KweliTV, you’ll get top content as well as receive perks, access to events, and much more.
- Membership-based service/ content: Award-winning indie films, documentaries, web series, and more celebrating global black stories.
- Target Audience/ Users: Leaders, journalists, filmmakers, activists, teachers, historians, designers, etc.
- Membership type and pricing: The Freemium Model. It provides a free trial for the first 7 days. The subscription costs $5.99 per month or $49.99 per year.
- Twitter: kweliTV
- Facebook: kweliTV
D. Examples of Premium Stock Images Membership Site
Shutterstock is a renowned marketplace that provides royalty-free stock images, photos, vectors, illustrations, videos, etc. Also, it features a huge library of images and vectors for almost any kind of application or project. Moreover, Shutterstock adds bulks of new creative assets each week and totals over 300 million images to date.
- Membership-based service/ content: Stock Images, Photos, Vectors, Videos, and Music for any kind of project.
- Target Audience/ Users: Creative professionals from all backgrounds.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-One Subscription.
- For Image Subscription, the plans are (You can get a free 1-month trial):
- 10 images, $29/month
- 50 images, $99/month
- 350 images, $169/month
- 750 images, $199/month
- For on-demand packs (One-time payment)
- 5 images, $49
- 25 images, $229
- For Image Subscription, the plans are (You can get a free 1-month trial):
- Twitter: Shutterstock
- LinkedIn: Shutterstock
21. Getty Images
Getty Images is the destination where you’ll find royalty-free images, editorial photography, videos, music, etc. It has over 200 million assets, and it’s one of the finest and most trusted visual content in the world. Also, the website serves over one million customers in almost every country around the world. Additionally, you can get these stunning images at a flexible price.
- Membership-based service/ content: Stock photos, illustrations, vector art, videos, and much more that are suitable for any purpose.
- Target Audience/ Users: Non-profit organizations, photographers, students, business owners, etc.
- Membership type and pricing: One-time payment.
- Small images and Low-res videos: Single – $175, 5 pack – $800, 10 pack -$1500.
- Medium images and SD videos: Single – $375, 5 pack – $1625, 10 pack – $3000.
- Large images, 4K and HD videos: Single – $499, 5 pack – $2250, 10 pack – $4250.
- Twitter: Getty Images
- Facebook: Getty Images
E. Design Tool Membership Site Examples
With the introduction of Canva, creating a professional-looking design has become an easy job. It’s an online design and publishing tool that started in 2013 with a mission to empower everyone to design anything. Moreover, Canva features thousands of professional templates, images, and quality content that give your work a great start.
- Membership-based service/ content: Courses, tutorials, and blogs on creating amazing designs.
- Target Audience/ Users: Large organizations, offices, businesses, agencies, etc.
- Membership type and pricing: The Freemium Model.
- Canva Free: $0
- Canva Pro: Costs $6.49/month and $54.99/year.
- Canva for Teams: Costs $8.49/month and $84.9/year.
- Facebook: Canva
- Twitter: Canva
VistaCreate is a graphic design tool that allows you to create outstanding content straightaway. The website features thousands of professional templates suitable for any purpose. Formerly Crello, you can use VistaCreate to customize any of the design formats. And pull off any imaginary design with a few clicks.
- Membership-based service/ content: Tutorial and templates for creating your own designs effortlessly.
- Target Audience/ Users: Non-profit organizations, bloggers, small businesses, photographers, etc.
- Membership type and pricing: The Freemium Model.
- Starter: $0
- Pro: $10/month (You’ll get the free trial).
- Twitter: VistaCreate
- Instagram: VistaCreate
24. Quotes Cover
Quotes Cover helps people to create stunning pieces of typographic art that can be used on almost anything. And no design skill is required. It provides assets or resources to form graphic art that you can edit. Most importantly, it’s free for everyone but subscribed members get access to more features and programs.
- Membership-based service/ content: Quote maker for turning any text into amazing graphics.
- Target Audience/ Users: Entrepreneurs, affiliate marketers, bloggers, etc.
- Membership type and pricing: The Freemium Model.
- Guest(Free): You can use Quotes Cover free as a guest.
- Pro: Starts from $2.50
- Pinterest: QuotesCover
F. Other Premium Service & Content Membership Site Examples
PlantYou started with a mission to offer you more plants to eat through the simple whole-food, plant-based, oil-free lifestyle. The website features 140+ healthy vegan recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, cheese sauces, salad dressings, desserts, and more. Also, it has a podcast that covers conversations related to physical, mental, and spiritual health.
- Membership-based service/ content: Plant-based recipes and meal planner for promoting a healthy lifestyle.
- Target Audience/ Users: vegans, housewives, etc.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription. The membership will cost you $7.99/month.
- Facebook: PlantYou
Scott’s Cheap Flights provides incredible deals on flights, so you never have to overpay again. You have to set which airports deal you want and leave the rest to the team of flight experts. The team will notify you whenever there’s an amazing deal from your chosen airport. Also, with the membership, you’ll get up to 90% off on the best destinations.
- Membership-based service/ content: Amazing flight deals to the best destinations.
- Target Audience/ Users: Travelers and tourists.
- Membership type and pricing: All-in-one subscription.
- Limited: Free
- Premium: $49/yr
- Elite: $199/yr
- Facebook: Scott’s Cheap Flights
- Twitter: Scott’s Cheap Flights
27. 40 Aprons
Lastly, 40 Aprons is a famous food blog offering healthy recipes for all types of diets and cuisines for families. It comes with some free content such as the Total Keto Guide. Plus, this membership site also gives ad-free premium content. And that includes eBooks, exclusive recipes, articles, courses, and much more.
- Membership-based service/content: Food eBooks, recipes, articles, courses, meal plans, etc.
- Target Audience/Users: Food lovers.
- Membership type and pricing: It uses a freemium model. So, you can download the Whole30 Kit and Total Keto Guide for free. While you can receive all the 40 Aprons Premium content from the following options:
- Monthly Membership: $3.99/mo
- Annual Membership: $40/year
- Facebook: 40 Aprons
- YouTube: Cheryl Malik
How to Create Your Own Membership Site? (Step-by-Step)
Gone were those days when you needed to hire a developer to build a website from scratch. Now you can do it on your own with the help of a website builder. The advancement and the frequent updates have made these website builders very flexible.
Hence any site can be created with it, including a membership site. And here, we’ll be briefly guiding you on how to create one.
Step 1: Choose the Right Membership Site Platform
To give a quick review, it’s the most powerful CMS (Content Management System) that powers over 40% of the websites on the web.
For a more detailed explanation, have a look at it: What is WordPress?
It’s beginner-friendly, so no worries if you’ve no experience in site-building. Plugins add functionality to your site and WordPress has bulks of free membership plugins and freemium membership plugins. And you can rely on it to turn your site into a membership site effortlessly.
Step 2: Buy Domain Name and Web Hosting
And hosting is the location where your website’s files are stored.
After successfully completing, choosing your domain name you’ll be asked to provide your personal information (name, address, email, etc). And afterward, you need to provide your payment information.
Step 3: Set Up Your Membership Website on WordPress
When all the processing gets done, you’ll be getting automatically redirected to the login page of WordPress. So, log in to your dashboard.
The best part of using Bluehost is it will automatically install WordPress for you so no need to feel overwhelmed. After that, you’ll be able to access the WordPress admin dashboard.
Now is the time to design your site and for that, you’ll require a WordPress theme. In the WordPress directory, you’ll find tons of stunning themes.
Search for ‘Astra’ and install it right from your WordPress dashboard. With the installation of the theme, you can customize the site the way you like. For more details, check our guide on how to install a theme.
Membership plugins come in handy if you are to actually turn your site into a membership site.
Install WP-Members Membership Plugin from the plugins section. It’s simple to use, flexible, and most importantly free.
Step 4: Create Premium Content and Publish Your Membership Site
Lastly, you need to create specific content that you are to provide to your members. Follow Posts>Add New which is located in your dashboard menu and start creating the content. Once done hit the ‘Publish’ button. And there you go!
And that’s a wrap! So, in this article, we’ve covered the 27 best membership site examples in 2022 + how to create one. We hope you liked it!
Building your membership site is no hurdle if you follow the right path. It’s certainly a great way to have a following and earn money at the same time. Once you get that content, vision, and strategy then success is not far away from you.
Still, do you’ve any questions? Then leave a comment below.