Are you looking for the best domain name registrar for a small business? Not sure where to register your domain name? Then, you’ve come to the right place.
Generally, domain name registrars are companies that provide domain registration services to the public. They provide a platform to register a domain name and also offer other related services like web hosting, SSL certificates, etc.
But choosing the best domain registrar company for your small business may be a confusing task if you’re a beginner. That’s because there are many of them and they all claim to be the best.
So, considering the hassle beginners may face, we’ve made a list of the 17 best domain name registrars in 2022. Let’s get started!
What is a Domain Name Registrar?
For example, our website’s domain name is: www.sitesaga.com.
This is our website’s name because people know our site by this name. It’s our website’s address because people enter this on their browser’s address bar to visit our website. To learn more, you can see our full article on what is a domain name.
Now, you know what a domain name is, let’s talk about domain name registrars. As the words indicate, domain name registrars are the companies where you can register a domain name for your website or blog.
They’re Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) accredited businesses that allow you to purchase and register domain names. ICANN is a non-profit organization responsible for managing domain names.
To make the domain name available for everyone, ICANN licenses companies that apply for accreditation to become domain registrars. But not all domain registrars are licensed to sell all domain name extensions. Some can only sell country-specific extensions.
All the domain name data are stored in the database called the registry. And, domain name registrars are given permission to change the domain names data on your behalf.
How to Choose The Best Domain Name Registrar? – Things to Look for
Domain registrars differ from one another by various services they provide on top of domain name registration. Some offer cheap domains whereas others give you free add-ons and marketing options. Also, things like ease of use, customer support, etc. also make domain companies different.
You need to carefully look at these factors and other things while choosing a domain registrar. Here, we’ve made a list of some of the most critical things to consider while selecting a domain name registrar.
1. Pricing and Registration:
Picking the registrars under your budget is the most crucial thing. As a result, you’ve to know if the provider doesn’t have any hidden fees or lacks the pricing features.
Pricing for first-time registration, registration period, and renewal options varies according to the provider. You’ll need to be wary of any additional fees for basic features.
2. Domain Transfer feature:
Domain names can be moved to other providers. If you are not happy with the current provider, then you have this option available. Normally, you can move your domain to any other registrar after the first 60 days of registration.
You would want your transfer to be easy without any extra free. It is an easy task for many registrars but some might make it complicated. Having a hassle-free transfer feature is important.
You’ll be associated with the domain registrar for a long time. A good support system is important for your efficiency. Good registrars should have good support for the customers and provide proper information.
4. Expiration Policies:
You would not want your domain to expire and be taken over without any information. So registrars should have good policies to avoid that and good expiration protection. Good expiration policies are crucial.
Even if you don’t need add-ons features from the start, it is a good idea to check if it provides these services. Add-ons services like domain privacy, domain parking, and more are important in the long run.
6. Reputations and History:
Most domain registrars are very user-friendly and respect customers. They take feedback and improve their services according to the need of customers but some are the total opposite.
Checking the reputation and user testimonial for the domain registrar is a great idea. You can search for online reviews and do some research. Having this information prior to registration helps avoid a bad experience.
7. Easy to Use and Configure:
You would want a system that is user-friendly, easy to use, and configure. A simple checkout process, easy search tool, an intuitive dashboard for users, and easy DNS settings and configuration are often the best things to look for in a domain registrar.
17 Best Domain Name Registrars
To avoid any future problems and hassles, you have to be mindful of choosing the best domain registrar for you.
We’ve prepared this list of the best domain name registrars to help you with that. So let’s get started!
One of the long-running domain name registrars is Namecheap which was founded in 2000. With around 7 million domains and 3millions users, they are one of the best domain name registrars available for big and small businesses.
It was also named “Best Domain Registrar” in 2010 and “Most Popular Domain Name Registrar” in 2012. Also, they offer services like SSL certificates, app integration, and a unique domain marketplace to buy and sell domains.
- Powerful domain search tool.
- Hassle-free and quick registration process.
- Cheap domain name registration.
- Offers services like SSL certificate, app integration, hostings and premium DNS.
- Free whois guard for a year and great domain management area.
- Good live chat customer support.
- Current theme is not quite user-friendly and takes time to get used to.
- Lacks in phone support.
It costs around $5.98/year for a .com extension domain and prices vary according to different extensions. You get free privacy protection with it which makes it affordable and a great deal.
Founded in 1997, GoDaddy is one of the oldest and most popular domain name registrars. GoDaddy is a hosting site along with a domain registrar. You won’t have to go anywhere else when searching for a hosting plan.
With over 77 million domain names and 18 million users, it is the world’s biggest domain name registrar and also sells a lot of other services to support larger sites, eCommerce sites, and much more.
- Has a very easy domain management interface.
- Good phone support.
- Free SSL certificates and different hosting plans.
- Provides features like domain value approval, online marketing tools and security.
- Domain transfer is very easy.
- Might be overwhelming for beginners.
- Provides no email account.
- Although first-time registration is cheap, renewal becomes more expensive.
- Although phone support is fine, live chat support is limited.
They cost about $4.99/year in the first year for a .com extension, then about $18.99 for each year.
Other extensions’ prices vary but they often host discount options where you can register for as little as $0.99. You might also get other popular extensions such as the .net at $14.99/year, .com at $11.99, and so on.
Owned by Endurance International Group, Domain.com is another best domain name registrar suitable for a small business that has been around since 2000. Also, Domain.com offers an extensive range of Top Level Domains (TLDs) and country-code Top Level Domains (ccTLDs).
In addition, it provides inexpensive hosting options along with useful tools for small blogs or businesses. Domain.com offers more than just domain names and has expanded to a full-service provider.
- Provides Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates, Virtual Private Server and online marketing services.
- The user interface is efficient and very easy to use.
- The registration and checkout process is very straightforward and easy.
- Huge list of TLDs.
- Less annoying upsells.
- Provides 24/7 phone support with active support Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) area.
- Transfer of domains to and from Domain.com is very easy.
- Charges extra on domain privacy.
It’ll cost you $9.99/year to register for a .com and $12.99 for a .net domain name. It might cost an extra $8.99/year for domain name privacy.
The registration is hassle-free. If your desired domain is available then you can move to registration else, it shows you the list of relevant TLDs for you to choose from. It is a go-to option for both new and experienced website owners.
Another best domain registrar suitable for a small business is Name.com which is best known for its flexible features and affordability. It was founded in 2003 and has since grown to be a major player in the domain name industry.
Not to mention, the Right Side Group, the company’s parent company, manages over 2 million domains and has over 300,000 customers.
- Easy access to technical help via email for low-priority issues and live chat for important issues.
- Comes at a low price to get your own.com domain and begin your online presence.
- It’s simple to transfer your domain name to another registrar with Name.com.
- Includes a number of domain filters to help you find the perfect domain for your industry.
- You’ve to pay an extra amount of money for transferring your domain to another registrar as a transfer cost.
- Technical support is not so good in comparison to other domain registrars.
The pricing depends upon the Top Level Domains (TLDs). However, for the .com extension, it’ll cost you $9.99/year for domain registration. And, $14.99 and $8.99 for renewal and transfer, respectively.
Founded in 2003, Bluehost is a well-known hosting provider officially recommended by WordPress, the most popular website platform in use. Moreover, they are considered one of the best hostings to get started with and hosts over 2 million websites.
Although being famous for hosting, it’s very popular and lies among the best domain name registrar suitable for a small business. If you’re looking for hosting as well as a domain name, Bluehost is a good fit.
- Provides SSL certificates and hosting options like dedicated, VPS and reseller hosting.
- Quick and easy registration process.
- Easy and seamless search tool.
- Hassle-free domain transfer with no extra charge.
- Great 24/7 live chat and phone support.
- Active community and FAQs forum.
- Less variety of TLDs compared to Domain.com.
- Purchasing a domain without hosting and privacy protection is expensive.
- Constant upsells.
You can get a shared hosting plan for only $2.95/month which comes along with email and a free domain. But, if you only require a domain from Bluehost, it cost $12.99/year for registration, $18.99 for renewal, and $15 for privacy protection for the .com extension.
Although the range of TLDs is smaller than Domain.com, it has enough major TLDs. This is a great option for someone looking for both a hosting and domain name plan.
Famous for its hosting plans, HostGator, was founded in 2002. It primarily serves as a web hosting provider but it is also the best domain name registrar perfectly suiting a small business. They have low-priced domains and hosting bundles for anyone looking to start.
HostGator manages around 9 million domains and around 400000 customers. They offer different types of hosting options like web hosting, reseller hosting, and WordPress hosting.
- Has a good range of extensions.
- Offers features like domain privacy and domain name system (DNS) management.
- Easy to use and user-friendly domain search tool.
- The transfer of domain to and from other providers is hassle-free.
- Provides food live chat support and email ticketing.
- Has great uptime so almost never goes offline.
- Doesn’t provide a free SSL certificate like other registrars.
- Extra charges for domain privacy and protection.
If you want a .com website, it will cost you around $12.95/year. Also, the bundle consisting of hosting + email + website costs around $3/month which is a good price.
Other extensions also cost around the same price for .com extension. If your hosting plan is already from HostGator, the .com extension will cost you only $2.99/year. An additional $14.95/year is charged for your privacy protection for all plans.
Founded in 1997, DreamHost is another popular and best domain name registrar suitable for a small business with web hosting services. They host over 1.5 million websites and have 400000 customers.
DreamHost has a lot of features like having an almost unlimited supply of domain name extensions, offering free domain privacy, and having easy control over your domain’s settings.
- Has over 400+ TLDs.
- Great domain management tool and easy to configure settings.
- Comes with free privacy protection, DNS management and SSL certificate.
- Provides free subdomains.
- 24/7 support available via email and live chat.
- It doesn’t provide any discounts for transferring the domain from other providers.
DreamHost also offers a free domain for the first year if you purchase any hosting annual plan.
You can get a .com extension domain name for around $17.99/year. The pricing for other extensions is also around the same range. The 1st year registration can go down up to $7.99 depending on the offers that they host.
Another popular and best domain registrar is Inmotion Domain Registration suitable for a small business. It’s also known for being one of the best hosting service providers. In fact, you’ll receive one free domain name if you decide to host your website with InMotion.
Currently, they’re in charge of more than 300000 domains. InMotion hosting is noted for its quick servers and excellent uptime, as well as standard registrar capabilities. They also provide domain renewal services that are automatically renewed.
- InMotion hosting is best known for its quick load speed. It’s also available with a global domain.
- Provides secured domain lock to prevent any kind of unauthorized transfers.
- Offers domain privacy so that hackers and scammers will not be able to access your website.
- Easily manage your domains with a simple, straightforward control panel.
- Technical support 24/7/365 for any emergencies.
- It doesn’t provide a monthly option to purchase the domain.
- The account creation process and support are really slow.
You can also buy .com, .net, .org, .us, .biz, .info or any top-level domain that’s available. The cost of registering a domain name is $17.99, which covers one year of registration.
One of the popular eCommerce platforms is Shopify which allows anyone to make an eCommerce store without any technical skills. Shopify Domains is also a very popular and best domain name registrar suitable for a small business. Shopify allows you to quickly set up a store using your custom domain name.
Moreover, the setup for Shopify is very easy and is mostly automated. Also, it comes with free subdomains and unlimited subdirectories to make it easy to sort.
- Getting started and registration is very easy.
- Provides free subdomains.
- Transfer of the domain to and from other providers is easy.
- Offers a great domain name generator.
- Doesn’t have an email address for the domain so uses third-party email services.
The .com extension starts with around $14/year and other extensions’ domains lie around the same price.
Another best domain name registrar is NameSilo that’s ideal for both small and large businesses. Essentially, there are no hidden pricing schemes and provide quality service without tricks.
You also get Domain Name System (DNS) Management, WHOIS Privacy, Email Forwarding, Domain Defender Protection, and more. To further up your online experience, they also provide hosting, email, SSL, and Premium DNS.
Consequently, this makes it a perfect alternative for anyone seeking a new domain name that falls under their supported (TLDs) and general Top Level Domains (gTLDs).
- Offers a great control panel for managing your domains.
- Provides safe & secure advanced anti-spam filtering and enterprise-level security.
- There are a plethora of domain names and 400+ domain extensions available at the cheapest pricing.
- When you transfer your domain name to NameSilo, you’ll get a year added to your expiration date for free.
- It has various discount programs to get your domain registered at an affordable price.
- The user interface of it can be a little complicated for beginners to navigate.
- To fix your problems, you’ll need to have a long back-and-forth conversation that is quite hectic.
The pricing schemes of NameSilo depend upon the kind of extension that you choose. Basically, for the .com extension, it charges you $9.95 for registration as well as renewal. And for transfer, it charges you $8.99.
1&1 IONOS Domain Registration is one of the longest-running domain name registrars which was created in 1988. In fact, it’s a German company with great customer service, email marketing, and the lowest first-year price. You can also create up to 10000 subdomains to modify and structure your website.
Not to mention, it’s also one of the decent hosting service providers. As a result, after registering your domain name, you don’t need to go anywhere else for hosting. In fact, you get a free domain in its hosting packages.
- Provides free 2 GB of mailbox storage with your domain name to get you started.
- Comes with 1 free wildcard SSL certificate for guaranteed safety of your site visitors and to improve your Google ranking.
- Connecting your domain to email, hosting, or social media profiles is simple with one-click activation.
- The domain transfer lock prevents unauthorized third parties from transferring your domain.
- 24/7 customer support is always accessible for any kind of assistance.
- 1&1’s UI is a little complicated because you’ve to navigate through a lot of information to buy a name and check it out.
- Though the initial price is cheap for domain registration, the renewal price is quite costly.
It also charges the registration fee on the type of extension you choose. Normally, for the .com extension, it takes you $1 for the initial year and the annual renewal price is $15.
Another best domain name registrar is Hostinger that’s suitable for a small business. It began as a free web hosting service in 2007. And has since grown to become one of the affordable hosting providers along with a domain registration service.
It’s also a member of a select group of ICANN-accredited domain registrars with more than 40 locations throughout the world. It provides domain registration in various TLDs such as .com, .online, .store, .live, .tech, and so on.
Not to mention, you get free domain registration for a year in its premium, as well as business, shared hosting plans.
- An affordable platform for getting both your domain name registered and hosting your site.
- Includes domain checker to find the domain that best suits your business.
- It has a domain privacy protection service to keep your personal details private from WHOIS public databases.
- Comes with a simple domain management dashboard to manage your domains easily.
- Easy transfer process to transfer your domain to Hostinger hassle-free.
- Customer support is not that good and can be slow at times.
- During the first 60 days after registering a domain, you are unable to transfer it to another registrar.
The domain registration charge depends upon the kind of extension that you choose. Basically, you can register your .com extension domain from Hostinger at $9.99/year.
With over 7 million domains registered, NetworkSolutions is one of the world’s largest domain registrars. Essentially, you can register a wide range of domain extensions. That includes the well-known .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, and pretty much any other specialty TLD.
As one of the largest domain registrars, Network Solutions’ offerings include web hosting, website building, website security tools, business email addresses, etc. In fact, it can basically be your one-stop shop for your online web presence as a small business.
- Simple domain registration process to easily register the domain of your choice.
- Includes all of the expected domain features, such as DNS control, private registration, WHOIS privacy, and so on.
- Offers private registration when establishing a new domain name to secure your personal information online.
- Easy domain transfer with an easy, quick, and secure domain transfer process.
- It makes it possible for registering multiple domain names at the same time.
- Not so beginner-friendly interface that makes it hard to manage domains from the back-end.
- The cost of add-ons quickly adds up.
- It lacks transparency in the pricing as the pricing policy is hidden.
It depends upon the type of domain you purchase and the kind of extension you choose whether it’s the .com, .info, .online, and so on.
Officially launched in 2009, Hover is the third-largest ICANN accredited domain name registrar suitable for a small business. It basically is a merger of three big domain registrars; NetIdentity, It’s Your Domain (IYD), Domain Direct.
Hover is a simple and straightforward approach to domain name purchasing. They only focus on domain registration so it is very easy to register a domain with them. Moreover, you won’t have to deal with any more upsells and advertisements.
- Very easy to use and domain only focused interface.
- Registration and setting up is seamless.
- The support is very reliable and you always get real person support.
- Has a great range of TLDs.
- Transfer of domain to and from other providers is very easy.
- App integration is very easy.
- Lacks complementary products like web hosting and builders.
- It is more expensive.
The pricing of Hover might be pricer than other providers. They have different prices according to different schemes and extensions. The .com extension domain starts at around $13.99/year for registration, $15.99/year for renewal, and costs $13.99/year for transferring the domain.
Another American-based domain registrar company is Register.com which was established in 1994 and has been operational since then. As the name implies, it specializes in domain name registration. In addition, it offers a variety of services such as domain management, including marketing, hosting, and web design.
Along with other basic features, it also includes domain expiration protection and domain privacy protection. Not to mention, Register.com now maintains more than 3 million domain registrants of small businesses.
- It claims to have a 99.9% uptime rate. User reviews also point to a high level of uptime.
- The site’s interface is straightforward, and it’s simple to manage a domain’s DNS settings.
- It has a private domain registration option to protect your details on the WHOIS database.
- You get a 1-year free extension after you transfer your domain to Register.com.
- Provides good technical and customer support for any kind of emergency situation.
- It might be difficult to use if you’re new to domain name registrars.
- The pricing policy is confusing, so there is no transparency in the pricing.
It’s dependent on the sort of domain you acquire and the extension you select, such as .com, .info, .online, and so on. However, it costs you around $25/year for the .com domain extension registration.
16. Google Domains
Launched in 2015 by Google, Google Domains is still in its beta stage. Google Domains has a lot of features and many on its way. It has been able to acquire some popularity despite being public recently.
In addition, it’s very fast and very easy to set up. Moreover, private registration has no extra costs and it’s very easy to integrate with top website builders. The DNS servers used for the lookup are the same as Google so it is a fast, secure, and reliable infrastructure.
- Simple domain management tool.
- Comes with a custom email with G Suite.
- Features like subdomain customization and email forwarding.
- The support team is always available.
- Easy to integrate with website builders.
- The DNS server is fast and secure.
- Transfer of the domain to and from other providers is easy.
- Limited extensions available.
- Cost of domains is on the expensive side.
- Doesn’t host any discounts.
You can get a .com extension domain in as little as around $12/year. It comes with automatic renewal options for which you will be notified. You can register from a minimum of 1 year to 10 years.
You can also get other extensions for around the same price with some exceptions. Moreover, you will get privacy protection with all the plans free of cost.
Another best domain registrar is NameHero that’s suitable for a small business. It was founded in 2015 by a group of internet entrepreneurs. In fact, it has registered over 500 thousand domains worldwide.
Moreover, it includes Smart Search domain lookup to quickly find available names that can be registered right away. All you’ve to do is simply enter your brand’s keyphrase and click search. Then, you’ve to enter specific TLDs or let its Smart Search recommend the best TLDs for you.
Like other registrars, in addition to domain registration, you can also get site builders, web hosting, and virtual private servers.
- Affordable domain registrar that’s suitable for both small and large businesses.
- Provides WHOIS privacy protection so that you can enjoy the safe and secured domain of your site.
- Quick and easy transfer of your domain to it from other domain registrars.
- Easy domain management whether one to thousands of domains all inside its client portal.
- 24/7/365 customer support via call, live chat, as well as email.
- The upsells and added costs can be a little annoying at times.
- Also, you need to upgrade to hosting packages to set up your own domain email.
Its domain registration pricing depends upon the extension that you choose. Basically, it charges $13.98/year for the .com extension, $15.75/year for the .net extension, $15.08/year for the .org extension, and so on.
You can’t register a domain name without domain name registrars. So, choosing the best domain name registrar is the first step to establishing the online presence of your small business. There are hundreds of domain name registrars and resellers that you can find on the internet.
If we’re to choose, we would go for Namecheap. It offers reasonable pricing for all the features they provide. This is the best domain registrar for small and large companies alike.
If you’re looking for something other than Namecheap for your domain’s need, then Domain.com is a great choice. For focusing only on domain support, Domain.com is a great domain registrar.
Since all domain name registrar primarily offers the same kind of service, choosing the best for your small business is a bit of a hassle. Therefore, we hope this article was helpful for you to choose the best domain registrar for your small business.
Also, be sure to check our article on the best web hosting companies for your site.