Are you looking for the best domain name registrars? Not sure where to register your domain name?
Domain name registrars are companies that provide domain registration services to the public. They provide a platform to register a domain name and also offer other related services like web hosting, SSL certificates, etc.
But choosing the best domain registrar company may be a confusing task if you’re a beginner. That’s because there are many of them and they all claim to be the best.
Considering the hassle beginners may face, we’ve made a list of 10 best domain name registrars in 2021. Let’s get started!
What is a Domain Name Registrar?
For example, our website’s domain name is: www.sitesaga.com.
This is our website’s name because people know our site by this name. It’s our website’s address because people enter this on their browser’s address bar to visit our website. To learn more, you can see our full article on what is a domain name.
Now, you know what a domain name is, let’s talk about domain name registrars. As the words indicate, domain name registrars are the companies where you can register a domain name for your website or blog.
They’re Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) accredited businesses that allow you to purchase and register domain names. ICANN is a non-profit organization responsible for managing domain names.
To make the domain name available for everyone, ICANN licenses companies that apply for accreditation to become a domain registrar. But not all domain registrars are licensed to sell all domain name extensions. Some can only sell country-specific extensions.
All the domain names data are stored in the database called the registry. And, domain name registrars are given permission to change your domain names data on your behalf.
How to Choose The Best Domain Name Registrar? – Things to Look for
Domain registrars differ from one another by various services they provide on top of domain name registration. Some offer cheap domains whereas others give you free add-ons and marketing options. Also, things like ease of use, customer support, etc. also make domain companies different.
You need to carefully look at these factors and other things while choosing a domain registrar. Here, we’ve made a list of some of the most critical things to consider while selecting a domain name registrar.
1. Pricing and Registration:
Picking the registrars under your budget is the most crucial thing. You have to know if the provider doesn’t have any hidden fees or lacks the pricing features.
Pricing for first-time registration, registration period and renewal options varies according to the provider. You’ll need to be wary of any additional fees for basic features.
2. Domain Transfer feature:
Domain names can be moved to other providers. If you are not happy with the current provider, then you have this option available. Normally, you can move your domain to any other registrar after the first 60 days of registration.
You would want your transfer to be easy without any extra free. It is an easy task for many registrars but some might make it complicated. Having a hassle-free transfer feature is important.
You’ll be associated with the domain registrar for a long time. A good support system is important for your efficiency. Good registrars should have good support for the customers and provide proper information.
4. Expiration Policies:
You would not want your domain to expire and be taken over without any information. Registrars should have good policies to avoid that and good expiration protection. Good expiration policies are crucial.
Even if you don’t need add-ons features from the start, it is a good idea to check if it provides these services. Add-ons services like domain privacy, domain parking, and more are important in the long run.
6. Reputations and History:
Most domain registrars are very user friendly and respect customers. They take feedback and improve their services according to the need of customers but some are the total opposite.
Checking the reputation and user testimonial for the domain registrar is a great idea. You can search for online reviews and do some research. Having this information prior to registration helps avoid a bad experience.
7. Easy to Use and Configure:
You would want a system that is user-friendly, easy to use, and configure. Simple checkout process, easy search tool, an intuitive dashboard for users, and easy DNS settings and configuration are often the best things to look for in a domain registrar.
10 Best Domain Name Registrars
To avoid any future problems and hassles, you have to be mindful of choosing the best domain registrar for you.
We’ve prepared this list of best domain name registrars to help you with that. Let’s get started!
Owned by Endurance International Group, Domain.com is one of the most popular domain name registrars that has been around since 2000. Domain.com offers an extensive range of top level domains (TLDs) and country code top level domains (ccTLDs).
In addition, it provides inexpensive hosting options along with useful tools for small blogs or businesses. Domain.com offers more than just domain names and has expanded to a full-service provider.
- Provides Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates, Virtual Private Server and online marketing services.
- The user interface is efficient and very easy to use.
- The registration and checkout process is very straightforward and easy.
- Huge list of TLDs.
- Less annoying upsells.
- Provides 24/7 phone support with active support Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) area.
- Transfer of domains to and from Domain.com is very easy.
- Charges extra on domain privacy.
Pricing: It’ll cost you $9.99/year to register for a .com and $12.99 for a .net domain name. It might cost an extra $8.99/year for domain name privacy.
The registration is hassle-free. If your desired domain is available then you can move to registration else, it shows you the list of relevant TLDs for you to choose from. It is a go-to option for both new and experienced website owners.
Founded in 2003, Bluehost is a well-known hosting provider officially recommended by WordPress, the most popular website platform in use. They are considered one of the best hostings to get started with and hosts over 2 million websites.
Although being famous for hosting, it’s a very popular domain name registrar too. If you’re looking for hosting as well as a domain name, Bluehost is a good fit.
- Provides SSL certificates and hosting options like dedicated, VPS and reseller hosting.
- Quick and easy registration process.
- Easy and seamless search tool.
- Hassle-free domain transfer with no extra charge.
- Great 24/7 live chat and phone support.
- Active community and FAQs forum.
- Less variety of TLDs compared to Domain.com.
- Purchasing a domain without hosting and privacy protection is expensive.
- Constant upsells.
Pricing: You can get a shared hosting plan for only $2.95/month which comes along with email and a free domain. But, if you only require domain from Bluehost, it might cost about $11.99/year and an additional $0.99/month or $11.88/year for domain privacy protection.
Although the range of TLDs is smaller than Domain.com, it has enough major TLDs. This is a great option for someone looking for both a hosting and domain name plan.
Founded in 1997, GoDaddy is one of the oldest and most popular domain name registrars. GoDaddy is a hosting site along with domain registrar. You won’t have to go anywhere else when searching for a hosting plan.
With over 77 million domain names and 18 million users, it is the world’s biggest domain name registrar and also sells a lot of other services to support larger sites, eCommerce sites and much more.
- Has a very easy domain management interface.
- Good phone support.
- Free SSL certificates and different hosting plans.
- Provides features like domain value approval, online marketing tools and security.
- Domain transfer is very easy.
- Might be overwhelming for beginners.
- Provides no email account.
- Although first-time registration is cheap, renewal becomes more expensive.
- Although phone support is fine, live chat support is limited.
Pricing: They cost about $9.99/year in the first year for a .com extension then about $17.99 for each year. Other extension’s prices vary but they often host discount options where you can register for as little as $0.99. You might have to pay an additional $9.99/year – $14.99/year according to the protection you want.
Famous for its hosting plan, HostGator, was founded in 2002. It primarily serves as a web hosting provider but it is also a great domain name registrar. They have low priced domains and hosting bundles for anyone looking to start.
HostGator manages around 9 million domains and around 400000 customers. They offer different types of hosting options like web hosting, reseller hosting, and WordPress hosting.
- Has a good range of extensions.
- Offers features like domain privacy and domain name system (DNS) management.
- Easy to use and user-friendly domain search tool.
- The transfer of domain to and from other providers is hassle-free.
- Provides food live chat support and email ticketing.
- Has great uptime so almost never goes offline.
- Doesn’t provide a free SSL certificate like other registrars.
- Extra charges for domain privacy and protection.
Pricing: If you want a .com website, it will cost you around $12.95/year. The bundle consisting hosting + email + website costs around $3/month which is a good price.
Other extensions also cost around the same price for .com extension. If your hosting plan is already from HostGator, the .com extension will cost you only $2.99/year. An additional $14.95/year is charged for your privacy protection for all plans.
Officially launched in 2009, Hover is the third-largest ICANN accredited domain name registrar. It basically is a merger of three big domain registrars; NetIdentity, It’s Your Domain (IYD), Domain Direct.
Hover is a simple and straight-forward approach to domain name purchasing. They only focus on domain registration so it is very easy to register a domain with them. You won’t have to deal with anymore upsells and advertisements.
- Very easy to use and domain only focused interface.
- Registration and setting up is seamless.
- The support is very reliable and you always get real person support.
- Has a great range of TLDs.
- Transfer of domain to and from other providers is very easy.
- App integration is very easy.
- Lacks complementary products like web hosting and builders.
- It is more expensive.
Pricing: The pricing of Hover might be pricer than other providers. They have different prices according to different schemes and extensions. The .com extension domain starts at around $12.99/year for registration, $14.99/year for renewal and costs $10.99/year for transferring the domain.
It is also a long-running domain name registrar that was founded in 2000. With around 7 million domains and 3millions users, they are another of the top providers in the market.
It was also named “Best Domain Registrar” in 2010 and “Most Popular Domain Name Registrar” in 2012. They offer services like SSL certificate, app integration, and unique domain marketplace to buy and sell domains.
- Powerful domain search tool.
- Hassle-free and quick registration process.
- Cheap domain name registration.
- Offers services like SSL certificate, app integration, hostings and premium DNS.
- Free whois guard for a year and great domain management area.
- Good live chat customer support.
- Current theme is not quite user-friendly and takes time to get used to.
- Lacks in phone support.
Pricing: It costs around $8.88/year for a .com extension domain and prices vary according to different extensions. You get free privacy protection with it which makes it affordable and a great deal.
Launched in 2015 by Google, Google Domains is still in its beta stage. Google Domains has a lot of features and many on its way. It has been able to acquire some popularity despite being public recently.
It’s very fast and very easy to set up. The private registration has no extra costs and it is very easy to integrate with top website builders. The DNS servers used for the lookup are the same as Google so it is a fast, secure, and reliable infrastructure.
- Simple domain management tool.
- Comes with a custom email with G Suite.
- Features like subdomain customization and email forwarding.
- The support team is always available.
- Easy to integrate with website builders.
- The DNS server is fast and secure.
- Transfer of the domain to and from other providers is easy.
- Limited extensions available.
- Cost of domains is on the expensive side.
- Doesn’t host any discounts.
Pricing: You can get a .com extension domain in as little as around $12/year. It comes with automatic renewal options for which you will be notified. You can register from a minimum of 1 year to 10 years.
You can also get other extensions for around the same price with some exceptions. Moreover, you will get privacy protection with all the plans for free of cost.
Founded in 1997, DreamHost is one of the popular domain name registrars and web hosting services. They host over 1.5 million websites and have 400000 customers.
DreamHost has a lot of features like having an almost unlimited supply of domain name extensions, offering free domain privacy, and having easy control over your domain’s settings.
- Has over 400+ TLDs.
- Great domain management tool and easy to configure settings.
- Comes with free privacy protection, DNS management and SSL certificate.
- Provides free subdomains.
- 24/7 support available via email and live chat.
- It doesn’t provide any discounts for transferring the domain from other providers.
Pricing: You can get a .com extension domain name for around $13.95/year. The pricing for other extensions is also around the same range. The 1st year registration can go down up to $7.99 depending on the offers that they host.
It is a popular eCommerce platform. Shopify’s eCommerce platform allows anyone to make an eCommerce store without any technical skills. It is also a very popular domain name registrar. Shopify allows you to quickly set up a store using your custom domain name.
The setup for Shopify is very easy and is mostly automated. It comes with free subdomains and unlimited subdirectories to make it easy to sort.
- Getting started and registration is very easy.
- Provides free subdomains.
- Transfer of the domain to and from other providers is easy.
- Offers a great domain name generator.
- Doesn’t have an email address for the domain so uses third-party email services.
Pricing: The .com extension starts with around $14/year and other extensions domain lie around the same price.
Unlike other domain registrars in the list, BuyDomains is for buying an existing premium domain name. The domains that are already taken but available for sale from third-party can be bought from BuyDomains.
The domains to buy are often memorial, short, meaningful or brandable which makes them more expensive. If you want a premium domain for your company or business, then you can search on BuyDomains to get it.
- You can get premium and famous domains.
- Has strong branding possibility and high recall.
- Might attract high traffic.
- Unlike other domain name registrars.
- Very expensive as they are premium domains.
- Influential and meaningful domains sold out very fast.
Pricing: They are often not of fixed price and mostly depend on the importance and value the domain name carries.
You can’t register to a domain name without domain name registrars. So, going through choosing the best domain name registrar is inevitable. There are hundreds of domain name registrars and resellers that you can find on the internet.
If we’re to choose, we would go for Domain.com. It offers reasonable pricing for all the features they provide. This is the best domain registrar for small and large companies alike.
If you are looking for something other than Domain.com for your domain’s need, then Hover is a great choice. For focusing only on domain support, Hover is a great domain registrar.
Since all domain name registrars primarily offer the same kind of service, choosing is a bit of a hassle. Therefore, we hope this article was helpful for you to choose the best domain registrar for you.
Be sure to check our article on best web hosting companies for your site.