Are you looking for the best WordPress backup plugins and tools for your site? Then, you’ve found the right article.
Did you know, your website is vulnerable to various cyber-attacks, server problems & database failure? If that happens, then it results in the loss of your important website data. So, doing a regular backup is essential to keep your website data safe from those unfavorable situations.
If you use WordPress for your site, then you can find tons of backup plugins and tools that make your job easy. And that’s what we’ll be showing you here. We’ve collected and listed the best WordPress backup plugins and tools with their features, pros, cons, and pricing. With that, you can choose the best one as you need.
But first, let’s understand why backing up your WordPress website data is absolutely necessary.
Why Create a Backup of Your WordPress Site?
WordPress is a very popular CMS software that accounts for over 40% of websites worldwide. It’s one of the safest website building platforms out there due to its strong core software.
However, due to this popularity, WordPress is always a target of hackers and attacks. That’s why creating a timely backup of your WordPress site is mandatory. Keeping a regular backup is a really important step in securing your website against both crashes and hackers.
Moreover, here are some reasons why you should backup your WordPress site.
- Having a complete backup of your site helps you recover your site if unwanted situations occur.
- Sometimes, you can have some bugs and errors after updating your site. However, if you’ve done the backup, then you can restore your site to the last good working state.
- Your web hosting might have a backup service included but you can’t fully rely on it. So, you should have a good backup plugin installed on your site for automatic and manual backup creation.
Having said that, now let’s look at the 9 best WordPress backup plugins and tools for your site.
9 Best WordPress Backup Plugins and Tools
Here’s our pick for the 9 Best WordPress plugins to backup your site.
UpdraftPlus is a popular free WordPress plugin that allows creating site backups and restoring them easily. It’s used by over 3 million WordPress sites and has a perfect 5-star rating from real users of this plugin.
This plugin has a simple interface that makes creating backups and configuring settings easy for beginners as well. You can schedule time intervals for regular automatic backups of your website data and database separately.
This plugin allows you to save the backups in any cloud location like Google Drive, Dropbox, FTP, S3, Rackspace, Email, etc., and your local computer as well.
Moreover, this plugin focuses on making the restoration process more simple. Unlike many other backup plugins, the free version of this plugin can let you restore your site.
Pros of UpdraftPlus
- It’s very easy to use this platform.
- It has a free version with access to lots of features.
- You can backup non-WordPress files as well.
- Provides robust reporting with alerts and warnings.
- It provides migration and cloning tools.
Cons of UpdraftPlus
- No security and malware scanning.
Pricing: It’s a freemium plugin i.e. has both free and premium options. The premium one starts at $42 per year.
2. VaultPress by Jetpack
VaultPress is a great WordPress backup plugin owned by Automattic, the same company behind WordPress.com. It’s also known as Jetpack Backups from before because it’s powered and run by Jetpack. Jetpack is a very popular plugin with a set of useful features.
With VaultPress, you get a complete backup solution. You can create an up-to-date backup of your site and sync your data in the VaultPress cloud. With that, your restoration becomes easier and faster in time of need.
An important feature of VaultPress is that it scans and monitors your site to keep it safe from potential threats. Plus, the support team is always there for you if you run into some technical problems.
Pros of VaultPress
- Automatic backups daily
- Real-time backup is available in higher plans.
- Creates your WordPress site backup on the VaultPress cloud storage
- You also get a security scan feature with higher plans.
- You’ll get a 30-day money back guarantee.
Cons of VaultPress
- Pricing is quite complicated.
- You’ll have to install unwanted plugins since this plugin is under the Jetpack environment.
Pricing: The pricing of VaultPress is based on modules, i.e. you pay for the features that you only want. Suppose the daily backup costs $7.95 per month.
BackupBuddy is a WordPress plugin used by over half a million websites to back up their site data. With this plugin, you can backup your site completely, create a timely backup schedule, and restore the data when needed.
You can save your site backup in various cloud storage services like Dropbox, Amazon S3, Rackspace, FTP, Stash, etc. You can also send the backup to your email, or save it in your local storage.
BackupBuddy can create a backup of your site, however, you might only want to save only specific things on your site. In that case, you can customize what to save and what to leave.
Pros of BackupBuddy
- Easy setup and configuration
- Scheduled automatic backup
- Easy restoration
- Allows duplication and migration of your website
- Allows customized backups
- Offers malware scans
Cons of BackupBuddy
- No free version is available
- No free trial
- Not compatible with all web hosts
Pricing: BackupBuddy pricing starts at $80 per year.
4. WP Time Capsule
WP Time Capsule is a WordPress plugin that is useful for backup and staging your WordPress site. It backs up your site in various cloud-based storage services like Google Drive, Amazon S3, and Dropbox.
This plugin creates the backup of your site incrementally. Meaning, once your site backup is done, then on the next backup, it only backs up the newly made changes rather than the whole site. This would save a lot of your storage and CPU.
It provides you a calendar view option with which you can restore data from a specific date. You just have to click on the date and proceed to restore.
Pros of WP Time Capsule
- Easy to set up.
- It offers a free trial.
- Provides a staging environment where you can test your updates and new installations.
- You can clone and migrate your site to a new location.
Cons of WP Time Capsule
- Limited restoration period.
- Leaves some data as unimportant.
Pricing: You can get both free and premium versions of this plugin. The premium version starts at $49 per year.
BackWPUp is another popular WordPress backup plugin. It has over 700 thousand active installations and a good rating of 4.5 stars on the WordPress.org free plugin repository.
You can use it to back up your WordPress site completely and save it in a remote location like Amazon S3, Dropbox, FTP. You can also save the backup on your local computer or send it to your email.
It allows you to schedule automatic backups so that you don’t have to remember to back up every time. Even restoring your site is the easiest. You just have to import the backup zip file from your storage location to your site.
Pros of BackWPUp
- The free version is available.
- Offers services like site monitoring, checking, and repairing.
- Provides multisite backup support.
- Multiple backup options are available.
Cons of BackWPUp
- Not beginner-friendly.
- Doesn’t provide direct migration and cloning tools
- Comparatively high pricing.
Pricing: It’s a freemium plugin, with the premium version starting at $69 per year. The renewal cost is $39.
BackUpWordPress is a free and open-source WordPress plugin used for creating a complete backup of your site. It has over 200 thousand downloads in the WordPress.org repository with a 4.5-star rating from users.
It’s an easy-to-use plugin that doesn’t require setup and configuration. Just install and activate it, and start backing up your site data.
You can make multiple schedules for making backups of your site. You can also choose to exclude certain files and folders from your backup.
Pros of BackUpWordPress
- It’s an open-source and free plugin.
- No setup required.
- Minimal plugin
- You can schedule the backups
Cons of BackUpWordPress
- Very occasional updates
- Being a free plugin, you don’t get support
Duplicator is yet another good WordPress plugin mainly used for site migration and backups. It has over 1 million active installs on WordPress.org and a 5-star rating from users.
It’s a popularly used tool for migrating your site mainly. However, you can also use it for backing up your site.
Basically, Duplicator lets you create multiple copies or clones of your website and store them in a remote location as backups. Then, you can restore the copy in your website domain or a different domain.
Pros of Duplicator
- Provides lots of backup storage options.
- Cheaper multisite license.
- 30-days money back offer.
- Robust cloning and migration features.
Cons of Duplicator
- Doesn’t have an automated backup feature.
- Not very beginner-friendly
Pricing: The pricing of Duplicator starts at $69 per year. Plus, a free version is also available.
BlogVault is a popular WordPress backup service currently used by over 400 thousand customers. It’s a complete solution that offers services like WordPress backup, restore, staging, migration, WordPress management, and so on.
Once you need to install the BlogVault WordPress plugin, then you can connect to the BlogVault server. After that, you can create and save your site’s backup there. This will decrease the load on your own server.
It lets you create a schedule for automatic backups on a timely basis as well as do manual backups whenever you like.
Pros of BlogVault
- It’s simple and intuitive.
- Lots of options for remote backup locations.
- Offers restoration, migration, and staging services.
- Incremental backup approach
Cons of BlogVault
- Pricing is a little high in comparison.
- Doesn’t offer security scans and monitoring features.
Pricing: BlogVault is a premium plugin with the starting price of $89.
9. Total Upkeep
Total Upkeep is a WordPress plugin mainly useful for backing up your WordPress site files and database. Besides, it’s also helpful for preventing your site from crashes.
This plugin was previously known as BoldGrid Backup. It’s named after a website builder ‘BoldGrid’ which is powered by and based on WordPress.
Like other backup plugins, Total Upkeep lets you schedule for automatically backing up your site. Also, you can do full site backup or customize settings if you want to exclude certain things. You get lots of remote storage options like FTP/SFTP, Google Drive, and Amazon S3.
Pros of Total Upkeep
- Restoring and staging features are available.
- Site check and automated site protection.
- You can clone and migrate your site.
Cons of Total Upkeep
- Your data could be lost while backing up with a poor connection.
- Support is not that good.
Pricing: It has both free and premium versions available. The premium version starts at $30 per year.
That’s all! We hope that you liked our pick for the 9 best WordPress backup plugins and tools. We hope that you can pick a suitable one for your website according to your preferences.
If you have any questions, feedback, or suggestions regarding this article, then you can comment below.
You can also check our article on the best WordPress speed optimization plugins and tools. There you can find the list of plugins useful for speeding up your site for better user experience and search engine rankings.