Are you looking for the best MemberPress alternative plugin? Or, thinking to switch from the MemberPress plugin to one of its free alternatives? If yes, then you’ve arrived on the right page.
MemberPress is an all-in-one membership plugin, combined with powerful features for membership and LMS (Learning Management System). This plugin allows you to create different levels of membership packages.
Moreover, you can grant memberships to your users right from your website. Also, it enables your users to upgrade or cancel their membership anytime.
However, it’s always better to take a look at the alternatives before settling on the MemberPress plugin. So, in this article, we’ve hand-picked some most popular alternatives of the MemberPress plugin.
What is the MemberPress Plugin?
MemberPress is one of the most popular WordPress membership plugins with an easy-to-use drag-and-drop builder. It provides everything you need for a robust membership site solution without coding.
You can create and grant unlimited membership for individuals and let them easily upgrade, downgrade, or cancel their memberships. Also, it allows you to approve memberships for groups or organizations of any kind. In this case, one of the members can pay for the group.
In addition, you can create, manage, and track subscriptions and sell digital downloads. And, you can also control what content your users can see depending on their membership or the digital product they purchase. Like access to specific posts, pages, videos, categories, etc.
Moreover, to make your customers curious and irresistible, you’re able to create exciting content according to customers’ interests. And, release those contents within a scheduled time period with an expiration time to access that content.
Besides, there are some other key features of the MemberPress plugin that includes:
- Integrates with the most popular email marketing tools. Like ActiveCampaign, Constant Contact, Mailchimp, etc. to keep your members in the loop.
- Generate coupons with expiration dates and the number of users who are able to use that coupon.
- Provides diverse payment gateways. And, integration of Stripe, PayPal, and Authorize.net allows your users to pay for their memberships directly from your site.
- Quickly create attractive pricing pages for your membership packages and products with built-in templates.
- Create affiliate programs on your membership site with the Easy Affiliate plugin. And take advantage of referral marketing.
- Use built-in “courses” to build, manage and sell membership courses to create a powerful LMS platform on your membership site.
MemberPress is a premium LMS plugin that’s available to you at the following pricing costs:
- Basic: Costs $179.50/year for a single site. It’s a good option for newbies who are just starting out with their first online course membership site.
- Plus: Costs $299.50/year usable for up to 2 sites. Entrepreneurs, freelancers, and other small enterprises can benefit greatly from this scheme.
- Pro: Costs $399.50/year usable for up to 5 sites. It’s ideal if you want to get the most out of your eLearning membership site.
You might definitely check out our article on the MemberPress review to know more about this plugin in more detail.
It does look like a perfect membership plugin, doesn’t it? But this may not be the case for everyone! So, let’s have a look at why that is.
Why Do You Need a MemberPress Alternative?
MemberPress is undoubtedly one of the leading WordPress membership plugins available in the market. However, there are a plethora of good membership plugins to choose from.
And, some of the plugins can be just better and match your needs better than expected. The highlight is, the listed alternatives are mostly free membership plugins.
Now, all you need to do is go to the free WordPress repository (www.wordpress.org/plugins/), and search “Membership”. There, you’ll be amazed by the number of plugin options available! Take a look at the screenshot below.
Yet the more interesting thing is all the plugins available in the WordPress repository have a huge user base and great ratings. This shows that MemberPress isn’t the only choice!
Now, in this situation, it’s understandable that you might be confused. Don’t worry! We’re here to help you with your confusion.
You might want to check a few key reasons or potential drawbacks of using the MemberPress plugin. They are:
- MemberPress is a premium WordPress membership plugin.
- On top of that, its pricing plans start at the cost of $179.50/year. This makes it unsuitable for startups and small businesses.
- It has quite limited integration options compared to other membership plugins.
- Though it provides various customization choices, you might not get too much flexibility in terms of appearance and layout.
- Requires some technical expertise to configure advanced features of MemberPress.
But don’t worry! There are a handful of other plugins that have distinct features and functions appealing to your special requirements. So, we’ll go through the alternatives of MemberPress plugins and see how they stack up against MemberPress.
Let’s move forward!
10 Best MemberPress Alternative WordPress Plugins 2023
Here, we’ve short-listed some of the best MemberPress alternative plugins along with their unique features. So, go through each plugin to determine which is suitable for your membership site other than MemberPress.
1. Paid Memberships Pro
Paid Memberships Pro is one of the most favored MemberPress alternatives as a membership management and subscription plugin. It comes with everything you’ll need to start, manage, and grow your membership site. That can be premium content sites, online courses or LMS, members-only products, subscription boxes, etc.
Moreover, it allows you to create different levels of membership levels with affordable pricing packages, suitable for all types of users. The membership levels can be free trials, recurring payments, subscriptions, one-time payments, and much more.
Additionally, your users can select any membership level, checkout, and become members of your site straight away. Then, your members can log in, view payments, update billing info, or cancel their account from your site.
What Makes Paid Memberships Pro a Good Alternative to MemberPress?
The core features of Paid Memberships Pro plugin are free meanwhile MemberPress is a completely premium plugin.
So, let’s take a look at some of the best features:
- It has a free plan and most of the features are available on its free version unlike, MemberPress. Also, it has a 100-day refund policy with no questions asked.
- Advanced content restriction is available such as pages, posts, blocks, categories, files, products, etc. Also, grant access to content based on the membership levels.
- Offers pre-defined reports for sales and revenue, cancellations, member visits, member view, etc. Plus, you can create custom reports. Meanwhile, there’s no custom report option in MemberPress.
- Include donations, discounts, gifts, and so on to memberships.
- Control over the approval of members manually.
- Comes with 80+ integrations categorized into free and paid plans whereas a total of 60 integrations are available in the MemberPress.
- Allows you to include unlimited members for any membership level. In addition, you can also limit the number of members on a specific membership level.
- Provides you with the member’s directory feature with the help of an inbuilt add-on that isn’t available in MemberPress.
- Able to grant multiple membership levels to individual users.
You can download the free version of Paid Memberships Pro from the official WordPress plugins directory. Or from the official site of this plugin. You can also directly install the plugin from your WordPress dashboard.
But, you can also upgrade it to the premium version to unlock more features. Its pricing plans are:
- Standard: $247/year for 1 site, premium support, automatic updates, 20 Standard add-ons, etc.
- Plus: $397/year for 2 sites, all Standard plan features, 30 Plus add-ons, and more.
- Builder: $697/year for 5 sites, everything in Plus plan, able to contact to team for making more sites.
Want to know more about this membership plugin in detail? Then check our article on Paid Memberships Pro review for a complete review.
LearnDash is probably one of the best LMS plugins that includes everything you need to build online courses. Using this, you can build member-based e-learning websites like Udemy. Easily create courses, add lessons, and allow registered students to access them.
With this plugin, you’ll be able to simply create various memberships. So, only the members can access courses which becomes easier than selling access to the individual courses. As a result, when someone buys a membership, they’ll gain access to every course of a topic.
What Makes LearnDash a Good Alternative to MemberPress?
LearnDash gives you complete control over selling your online courses and hence, is one of the finest MemberPress alternatives.
So, let’s take a look at some of its best features:
- LearnDash is the best alternative to MemberPress if you focus on learning management system (LMS) sites.
- Let users choose between one-time or recurring payments for selling access to your content.
- Use any payment gateways as it comes with 300+ payment gateway integrations that are beyond that of MemberPress.
- Automatically notifies your members to renew their membership. And, if users don’t renew on time, then you’ll have the option to remove their access to important content.
- Allows you to sell your membership access even for WooCommerce products.
- Increase communication with engagement triggers by assisting you to engage with learners.
- Reward your members by giving them certificates, points, and badges to participate in quizzes, finishing courses, etc.
- Provides robust user management with groups of learners, bulk enrollment, course deletion, and more are available.
Since the LearnDash plugin doesn’t have a free version, rather, it offers 3 different paid pricing plans:
- Basic: $199/year for 1 site, unlimited courses, and users, course content protection, drip-feed lessons, advanced quizzing, free integrations, etc.
- Plus Package: $399/year for up to 10 sites, including ProPanel, certificates & badges, course forums, email notifications, etc.
- Pro Package: $799/year for up to unlimited sites, demo site template, and all features of both Basic and Plus Plans.
Do you want to know more about the LearnDash plugin? Then, you should definitely check our detailed article on LearnDash review. Also, check out MemberPress vs LearnDash.
3. Restrict Content Pro
Looking for a content restriction membership plugin other than MemberPress? If that’s the case, then here we go! Restrict Content Pro is yet another good MemberPress alternative plugin with robust content restriction utilities and a powerful WordPress membership site.
This plugin allows you to restrict content and monetize your site by allowing users to access exclusive content. You’ll have full control over who can and can’t view the content. Additionally, it makes it a breeze to limit access to posts, pages, media, etc. based on membership levels.
What Makes Restrict Content Pro a Good Alternative to MemberPress?
Restrict Content Pro plugin provides a comprehensive set of features to restrict content in your membership sites than MemberPress.
Now, let’s find out why by looking at some of its best features:
- Comparatively cheaper plans than MemberPress with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Able to create your own content access rules. Like, subscription level restrictions, access level restrictions, and user role restrictions.
- Keep track of your memberships with an intuitive interface. Such as, quickly viewing active, expired, canceled, and pending memberships.
- You can install a single license plan on 1 to unlimited sites. Meanwhile, MemberPress limits you to up to 5 sites.
- It has divided its integrations into 4 categories: Pro, Official, Third-Party, and Built-in. Some of the well-known integrations are ActiveCampaign, BuddyPress, Mailchimp, etc.
- Upgrade or downgrade their membership levels. Based on the previously paid amount and the remaining time on the customer’s current membership.
- Set up and send automated emails to a large number of people at once.
- Allows you to manually add memberships in bulk, edit, and search to locate a specific record of individual members.
Restrict Content Pro is a freemium plugin with both free and premium versions. You can download the free version from the plugin repository of WordPress.org.
While for the premium plugin with pro features, the pricing plans are:
- Personal: $99/year, license for 1 site, 34 pro-add-ons, plugin updates, private, ticketed support, etc.
- Plus: $149/year, license for 5 sites, 34 pro-add-ons, plugin updates, private, ticketed support, etc.
- Professional: $249/year, license for unlimited sites, 34 pro-add-ons, plugin updates, private, ticketed support, etc.
ARMember is another incredible membership plugin alternative to MemberPress. This plugin is ridiculously easy to operate with a wide range of features, great performance, and a modern user interface.
Along with that, you get to create different plans for your users. You can include free plans, finite/infinite paid plans, charge per post, subscriptions with auto-recurring payments, multiple membership subscriptions, etc. So, users can subscribe to the option that’s suitable for them.
Even better, you don’t need to be tech-savvy to create a WordPress membership site.
What Makes ARMember a Good Alternative to MemberPress?
ARMember is the perfect option if you want to create a membership site to sell online courses, e-books/digital downloads, etc.
Now, let’s find out its key features:
- Use drip content in-built feature to schedule content release for posts, pages, custom content, product, etc. Immediately upon a post’s publication, modification, or a defined date range.
- Offers a built-in form builder with a customization option, unlike the MemberPress. Create any form from scratch via drag-and-drop or using a variety of pre-made templates.
- Create beautiful email opt-in forms and collect the email addresses of users for email marketing purposes. It’s well integrated with platforms like AWeber, Mailchimp, and Constant Contact.
- Facilitates your members to postpone their next payment due date as well as the date of expiration.
- One of its striking features is it offers multiple alternative payment gateways like Mollie, PayPal, Pagseguro, PayFast, PayStack, and more.
- Similar to MemberPress, it lets you create an affiliate program for your membership using an add-on or plugin.
- Provides a variety of attractive templates to create member profiles and directories along with template customization options.
ARMember comes with both free and premium versions. Its free version is available on WordPress.org.
Whereas, you can purchase the premium version for $59 along with 6 months of support from the CodeCanyon market. You can extend the support for next 6 months at $20.25.
There are additional features on the upgrade. Some of them are subscribing to multiple memberships at the same time, logging in via social accounts, invoices, priority support, etc.
Wanna know more about the ARMember plugin? Check our article on ARMember review!
Masteriyo is another best freemium alternative to MemberPress available in the market. It’s renowned for its attractive user interface that makes it easy to design and market online courses. Also, it’s an extremely lightweight course builder that enables you to quickly and effectively develop online courses.
On top of that, you get several integrated payments and eCommerce possibilities. Consequently, this helps you sell your online courses hassle-free. In addition, you can make wonderful lesson pages, easy course access, progress indicators, and much more.
What Makes Masteriyo a Good Alternative to MemberPress?
Masteriyo was designed with devoted instructors and pupils in mind making it a strong competitor.
Here are some reasons why Masteriyo can be a good alternative to MemberPress:
- It has an intuitive UI that makes it simple for anyone to set up and maintain their membership website.
- Comes with a drag-and-drop page builder so you can make unique membership pages without knowing any code.
- Adaptable payment mechanism. As it supports a handful of payment gateways, including PayPal, Stripe, and Authorize.net.
- Offers cutting-edge features including affiliate programs, social login, email marketing integration, and drip content.
- Allows you to upload featured photos and videos and supports videos from YouTube, Vimeo, and self-hosted sites.
- Compared to MemberPress, it offers a more reasonable pricing structure. So, this makes it a fantastic option for startups and small enterprises.
- Optimized for quick loading. Consequently, this enhances the usability and performance of your website.
Masteriyo is completely a free WordPress LMS plugin. Precisely, you get features like unlimited courses, drag and drop builder, an inbuilt order system, etc.
All you really need to do is download it from the WordPress.org directory on install it straight from your dashboard.
Meanwhile, you can also upgrade to the premium version at the following pricing schemes:
- Starter: Costs $49/year for 1 site license. All free features plus certificate builder, multi-instructor, download materials, quiz builder, and more.
- Growth: Costs $99/year and is usable on up to 5 sites. All Starter features plus coupons, content drip, and other features.
- Scale: Costs $164/year. You get all Growth features that you can use for up to 99 sites.
Wondering if there’s a competitive alternative to MemberPress? If yes, then here we recommend you the MemberMouse plugin. It’s another leading membership plugin that gives tough competition to the MemberPress plugin as it has been in business since 2009.
This plugin lets you quickly manage your members. It allows you to check and update the account details of your members plus their access permission. Also, you can use the member search option to get the report of each member’s engagement statistics.
Along with that, it enables your members to manage their accounts by themselves with self-service. So, they can easily change their password, view their purchase history, update their personal details, and many more.
What Makes MemberMouse a Good Alternative to MemberPress?
MemberMouse is an enterprise-level membership plugin. This makes it quite a top-notch alternative to MemberPress.
Here are some of the best features that MemberMouse has to offer:
- Built-in social login feature. The users can log in with Google, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook. In contrast, you need to integrate the 3rd party in MemberPress.
- Able to download CSV files to import members into or from other email service providers. Whereas, in MemberPress, you must install an add-on to use this feature.
- Obtain basic to advanced reports in a visual approach. Like total active/inactive members, retention rate, etc. In contrast, MemberPress offers only basic reports.
- Supports coupon codes, discounts, and gifts.
- Unlike MemberPress, MemberMouse offers a live demo of the membership site created by the MemberMouse plugin.
- Most importantly, it includes staging and testing sites in all of its plans. Even migration from the staging site to the live site is possible. (Exclusive Feature)
- You can create any membership easily, whether free, paid, or subscription-based.
- Use smart tags to control the member’s access to certain posts, pages, categories, etc.
Being a premium plugin, the MemberMouse plugin offers 3 different pricing plans. They are:
- Basic: $199.50/year. Includes email support, staging license, 11 essential membership pages, all payment integrations, all email integrations, purchases and upsells, and more.
- Plus: $299.50/year. Includes priority email support, staging license, full analytics, reporting suite, social signup & login, manage billing dates, and more.
- Pro: $399.50/month. Includes phone and email support, staging license, Sticky.io integration, with all Basic and Plus features.
7. Ultimate Membership Pro
Another powerful MemberPress alternative is Ultimate Membership Pro. It allows you to build and manage multi-level access for your members. You can also create a free, one-time payment, recurring, date range membership that lets your member access info between specific dates.
Moreover, you’ll have complete control over the valuable content your users/members can access on the basis of their subscription. Hence, you can restrict pages, custom post types, categories, files, certain navigation menus for members-only, etc.
You’re free to create unlimited discount codes with flat or percentage discounts. Along with that, you can use the discount coupon for a limited time or indefinitely.
What Makes Ultimate Membership Pro a Good Alternative to MemberPress?
Ultimate Membership Pro is an incredible plugin with all the features you need to set up your membership site. Hence, not to mention, it’s a good alternative to the MemberPress plugin.
So, let’s take a look at its important features:
- Provides all the features to manage your members. Ability to view and change active, expired, pending, and canceled subscriptions along with social login options.
- Offers various customization options that let you edit the ready-made templates for registration forms, login forms, etc., unlike MemberPress.
- Makes it easier to create unlimited membership plans along with attractive pricing plans for different membership packages.
- Gives a specific amount of time to each member to renew their membership without losing access to valuable content.
- Based on the membership levels, you can limit the number of comments on the members-only content.
- Smoothly integrated with multiple payment gateways including Stripe, Authorize.net, PayPal, and 2CheckOut similar to MemberPress.
- Lets you sell subscriptions using the WooCommerce platform.
You can purchase the regular license of this premium Ultimate Membership Pro plugin at $59. This comes with 6 months of free support and updates. You can get extended support and updates for 12 months for an additional $20.25.
8. WishList Member
WishList Member is another simple and easy-to-use membership plugin for WordPress. It allows you to create an online course, launch a monthly membership, sell digital downloads, and many more.
Additionally, you can protect your valuable content. To do so, you can establish different membership levels to offer free, premium, or pay-per-post content. Also, automate content distribution by dripping most popular content to new members, scheduling posts to go live, etc.
Furthermore, you can encourage your members to maintain their subscriptions periodically. You get to simply archive content and users who were members before the archive date can access your archive content.
What Makes WishList Member a Good Alternative to MemberPress?
Wishlist Member easily sets up your membership site and protects your content without intruding on your site’s design.
So, why don’t we look at some of its offerings:
- The pricing policy of WishList Member is more affordable and reasonable than MemberPress along with a better money-back guarantee period.
- Create unlimited membership levels and charge accordingly for the various levels.
- Set the time limit for each member’s access to your membership content. Such as 1 week, or a month, after which your membership will automatically expire.
- 50+ integrations are available which is way more than the MemberPress plugin.
- It offers more payment gateway integrations than MemberPress such as PayPal, Stripe, Clickbank, InfusionSoft, Premium WebCart, SamCart, e-way, etc.
- Supports a number of shopping cart integrations.
- Give your users sneak-peak snippets of certain contents to give them a taste of what they’re missing.
The WishList Member is a premium plugin with 2 different pricing plans:
- 1 Site: Costs $149/year.
- 10 Sites: Costs $249/year.
Both above plans include pro features. Like access to wishlist members, an easy setup wizard, a member license, unlimited protected content, unlimited memberships level, and more.
9. WooCommerce Memberships
WooCommerce Memberships is not a standalone membership tool, rather it’s an extension of the WooCommerce plugin. However, if you wish to sell WooCommerce products or utilize products as a membership access medium, then it’s definitely worth it.
You’ll be able to assign zero or more products to a membership plan for various types of memberships. For example, create membership products, grant access to purchase products, grant access to the same membership from various products, invite-only members, etc.
What Makes WooCommerce Memberships a Good Alternative to MemberPress?
WooCommerce Memberships isn’t simply another plugin for limiting products and memberships available on your site. Instead, it allows you to choose how access is allowed to give you the most flexibility.
Here are some of its good features:
- Schedule a minimum time period. Like a one-week waiting period for members to access certain products or pages, instead of immediate access.
- Enable members to view and access all the sections with the list of accessible products, contents, discounts, upcoming content, etc.
- Offer some perks to persuade customers to buy from your site.
- Allow members for free shipping while requiring non-members to meet certain criteria like using coupons or maximum order amount.
- With its drip content feature, you can schedule your product to go live. This way, you can release certain products to purchase and other products after a certain time.
- Easily import and export members along with adding and creating new members.
- Able to bulk-update the information of members by merging the newer and existing data.
WooCommerce Memberships is a premium plugin that costs $199/year to purchase with a 1-year extension update, support, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
10. Paid Member Subscriptions
Paid Member Subscriptions is yet another comprehensive membership plugin, an alternative to MemberPress. It allows you to create several hierarchical subscription plans, like free, silver, gold. Moreover, you can access the list of all of your members plus their subscription levels.
On top of that, users can choose their subscription plan during their registration process. Along with that, the existing users can also purchase, renew, upgrade, or cancel their subscription plans.
What Makes Paid Member Subscriptions a Good Alternative to MemberPress?
Paid Member Subscriptions plugin is a freemium plugin that’s easy to set up your membership site.
Now, let’s look more into what Paid Member Subscriptions plugin has to offer:
- Keep track of all member payments, payment status, and plans they’ve subscribed to. Also, detailed payment history is available.
- Allows you to customize default member emails and set up member messages sent/displayed on certain user actions.
- Lets you maintain records of your members, custom reports, or simply import records into another application. Whereas MemberPress offers only basic reports.
- Create a members-only store to restrict access to the shop page to non-members.
- Control who can access your content such as page, post, category, etc. based on membership levels.
- Offer a special discount on product prices for the members on the basis of their active subscription.
Paid Member Subscriptions plugin comes with both free and premium versions. You can install the free version from the official WordPress plugins directory.
For the premium version, there are 2 different pricing plans:
- Basic: £69/year for 1 site, unlimited Paypal standard and free subscriptions, account management, WooCommerce integration-8 Basic add-ons, priority support, and more.
- Pro Version: £149/year for unlimited sites, supports free trial and sign-up fees, WooCommerce integration-8 Basic and Pro add-ons, etc.
Do explore our article on the best membership website examples for inspiration. It’ll definitely be worthwhile!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
MemberPress is a popular membership WordPress plugin for creating subscription-based websites. Its features include content filtering, payment integration, and membership control.
MemberPress is a premium plugin with no free version. It offers three levels of pricing plans namely Basic, Plus, and Pro. All three plans provide a yearly license starting at the cost of $179.50/year.
Consider your unique requirements, including your budget, the features you need, and the scope of your membership site. Also, do some research and compare each choice.
Some popular alternatives to MemberPress include Paid Memberships Pro, LearnDash, Restrict Content Pro, Masteriyo, etc.
The majority of MemberPress alternatives are made to be user-friendly and simple to use. Yet, the usability can differ based on the particular platform you pick as per your needs.
Searching for membership ideas for your website? Then, you should definitely check out our article on the best membership ideas that make money.
That’s it, folks! We’ve arrived at the end of this article. We’ve discussed the best alternatives to the MemberPress plugin for your WordPress website. We hope you’ll agree with our list of mostly free alternatives to the MemberPress plugin.
Most importantly, we would like to recommend you Paid Memberships Pro plugin if you’re trying to switch from the MemberPress plugin. This plugin provides you with all the necessary features than MemberPress does. It also has more to offer even in its free version.
However, if you’re particularly looking to create an LMS site along with membership options, then the LearnDash plugin is perfect. Since the LearnDash plugin is specifically for the LMS site including the must-have features for a membership site.
If you’re using any of these plugins for your website, then please share your experience below in the comment section. In case you’ve any more queries, then feel free to ask us. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Also, share this article with your friends and colleagues.
You may also like our other similar articles. Such as the best membership website builder platforms and the best WordPress themes for membership sites.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more helpful articles.