Getting started with WordPress? Wondering what are the best WordPress plugins and tools for your site in 2021?
There are over 50,000 free WordPress plugins that you can find in the WordPress.org plugin directory. Moreover, you can get thousands of premium and third-party plugins from other different sites.
Choosing the best WordPress plugin from this massive pool of plugins isn’t that easy, especially if you’re a beginner. So many plugins with a huge number of features can really confuse anyone.
WordPress plugins are useful for adding different features and functionalities to your website. They help to increase the productivity and efficiency of your site.
To help you find the best ones easily, we’ve handpicked the 20 best WordPress plugins and tools in 2021. Let’s get into it.
How to Choose the Best WordPress Plugins?
Best WordPress Plugins are very crucial for the proper functioning and growth of a site. Therefore, you have to be cautious when choosing plugins for your site.
So first of all, start out by creating a list of all the features you want on your site. That’s because you don’t need all plugins out there. Deciding what options you want to add to your site will help you narrow down your search.
For example, you may need the must-have plugins, like an SEO plugin, a security plugin, a backup plugin, a caching plugin. Now, all you need to do is find out which plugin is best in its category. Like, which is the best SEO plugin? It’s pretty easy!
Secondly, you need a WordPress plugin that is easy to use and set up. Having a complex setup and usability can have a bad effect on productivity by killing lots of your time unnecessarily. So, ease of use is an important aspect that you have to search for in plugins.
Next, you should make sure that the plugin you’re getting is trustworthy and is frequently updated. Going over the history, reputation, and customer feedback of the plugin can really help to know how exactly the plugin is.
It also helps you know if it provides the features that you are looking for and if it fulfills its promises.
For more points, please check our guide on how to choose the best WordPress plugins for your website.
20 Best WordPress Plugins and Tools
It can be a hassle for someone starting out in WordPress to figure out which are the best WordPress plugins to get.
To minimize the hassle and help you to make choices, we’ve prepared a list of the best WordPress plugins and tools for your site in 2021 along with their features. Let’s check them out!
1. Yoast SEO
Yoast SEO is a must-have WordPress SEO plugin for your website. It helps you to easily optimize your content and pages for SEO so that you can rank higher in search engine results. Yoast SEO offers real-time analysis of your content for keywords, title, meta, and more.
Yoast SEO also comes with many added features for the improvement of your content’s readability. It helps to analyze your content by proper indication and what you can do to improve it. It has the best features and functionality that you need from an SEO plugin to help your site rank higher and get good traffic.
- Analyzes your content for SEO and implements an indication system to judge the SEO level.
- Highlight any weakness in SEO for your content.
- Creates XML sitemaps for your site.
- Suggestion to optimize your content further according to keywords.
- Analyzes content for keywords density, passive voice density, transition words, and many more.
- Helps breakdown content for much better readability.
- Generates URLs automatically and creates breadcrumbs.
- Constantly updated and provides great support.
Pricing: Yoast SEO is free to use, however, you can upgrade it to the premium version for $89/year per site to get more premium features. It’s the best WordPress SEO plugin.
There are thousands of malicious attacks happening over the internet in every instance. That is why keeping your website secure from those malicious attacks and hacks is very crucial for maintaining a good site.
Wordfence Security, one of the best WordPress security and firewall plugins, is a great solution for the problem. It offers features like login security, traffic monitoring, spam protection, and more. It’s the most popular WordPress security plugin with over 100 million downloads.
It comes with firewall protection that takes care of malicious attacks, malware, brute force attacks, and prevents from getting hacked.
- Scans for malware, malicious attacks, and viruses.
- Provides malicious network blocking feature.
- Real-time traffic monitoring.
- Email alerts for threats and problems.
- Brute force protection.
- Protection from spam.
- Two-factor authentication (2-FA) login security.
- Premium support with the premium version.
With increasing cyber-attacks, it’s very important to keep your site secure and free from attacks. Wordfence Security plugin is the best and most popular WordPress Security Plugin.
Pricing: It’s free to use but you can also subscribe to a paid version with added features. It comes with real-time IP blacklisting and country blocking features. You can get the premium version for $99/year.
Although the Wordfence Security plugin provides some amount of spam protection, it is a wise move to get a trustworthy anti-spam plugin that you can manage easily. Akismet is just that. It’s one of the best Anti-spam WordPress plugins that protects your site from spammers.
Akismet checks every comment on your blog and filters out the spammy ones from them. It provides the log for each comment so that you can check which comment was found as spam and approve or deny it. Akismet makes taking care of filtering out the spam comments very easy and hassle-free.
- Checks out each and every comment for spam.
- Provides a detailed log for comments.
- Alerts for false identification.
- It grows over time to recognize more accurately.
- Runs on background and hassle-free for setup.
- Removes suspicious links automatically.
Akismet is the best anti-spam protection plugin and is a free plugin for personal WordPress sites.
Pricing: It’s free for personal websites. But you need to buy a paid version for commercial websites. It costs $5/month per site for its plus version for commercial sites. Additionally, you get more support and security options. It can cost up to $50/month for the enterprise version.
W3 Super Cache is a very popular caching and performance plugin for WordPress. It can easily increase your website speed. It creates HTML files for dynamic pages which greatly increases the page speed.
Loading the created HTML file for your dynamic pages helps improve the load time because it doesn’t have to process heavier PHP scripts. It helps improve the overall performance of the site. It can compress pages more efficiently and it comes with a simplified user interface.
- Has a simplified user interface to access its features.
- It has great compression features that help decrease the page load time.
- Turns your dynamic pages to HTML files to increase load time.
- Uses mod_rewrite to serve cache files.
- Supports Content Delivery Network (CDN) which reduces crash chances and boosts speed.
WP Super Cache is the best WordPress caching plugin that you can get from the WordPress plugin directory. It’s important to help boost the speed and decrease the page load time of a site.
Pricing: You can get WP Super Cache for free.
With an increase in cyberattacks and malicious attacks, the chances of losing your data due to malware or hacks are rising. In the midst of these phenomena, getting a good WordPress backup plugin is very crucial.
UpdraftPlus is a free WordPress backup plugin that can help you protect your website from data loss. It comes with great auto-backup features. It allows you to create a complete backup of your site and store it virtually to cloud servers easily.
Along with that, it comes with many more features. You can use its schedule backup feature to back up your data. It also has selective backup features to backup selective pages or posts from your site.
Even if a plugin provides good backup features, restoration can be a hassle sometimes. However, with the UpdraftPlus direct restoration process from the dashboard, it’s hassle-free and requires no additional effort.
- Provides an easy to use interface.
- Features like scheduled and automatic backups.
- Easy restoration process.
- Fast backup process and selective backup features.
- Can store backups directly to cloud services.
UpdraftPlus is the best WordPress backup plugin you can get for free.
Pricing: It is a free backup plugin but you can still get a premium version with additional expert support and database encryption for about $195 – $399/year.
WooCommerce is a very popular plugin in WordPress that powers over 28% of the online stores. With over 80 million downloads, it is the best WordPress eCommerce plugin. It’s very versatile and comes with a huge library for feature extension.
You can easily make an eCommerce website with many important features like categories sorting, product rating, and more. You can add many different add-ons to your WooCommerce and extend it with different features like live chat, currency converter, and more.
Being an open-source platform, it has a wide variety of features to choose from to make your website how you want.
- Has a clean and easy-to-use user interface.
- Built-in shipping and customs tax calculation.
- Comes with pre-installed payment gateways.
- Easy to customize and design.
- Has a huge library of extensions and add-ons to add.
- Basically, it is a single solution for your eCommerce needs.
Pricing: WooCommerce is the best WordPress eCommerce plugin and is free to use. Although it comes with many free add-ons and features, some features require you to pay.
Knowing who your audience is and how your website is seen from the perspective of visitors is really important to improve your site. Google Analytics is a great tool to do so. It gives you statistical reports on your website traffic.
MonsterInsights plugin is the best Google Analytics plugin for WordPress. It provides the best way to connect your WordPress site to your Google Analytics account. You can see how your visitors find your website and what they come for.
With good enough data about the audience that your site reaches too, you can use it to improve your site. You can also track your views from multiple platforms and get tailored reports. You can easily monetize and get the most out of your site using these data.
- Real-time statistical report.
- View report from Dashboard.
- Track views from multiple platforms using Universal tracking.
- Integrated with Google AdSense.
- Track the affiliate link, download numbers, outbound link tracking, and many more.
MonsterInsights is the best Google Analytics plugin for WordPress.
Pricing: You can get it for free with its many included features. But you can also get premium versions that start at around $199/year. You can also get it for a lot less during offers that it often hosts.
Elementor is the most used WordPress page builder plugin. It’s a very powerful design tool with an easy to use builder. You can pretty much do any kind of website designing with this tool with no coding required.
Elementor is a simple and flexible tool and has a very fast and responsive design. It comes with 30 widgets and pre-made templates to help you design. You can easily create custom designs for your site. Plus, it works well with all the popular WordPress themes.
Being an open-source project, many developers have contributed to building themes, add-ons, and functionality to the Elementor plugin.
- Has an easy drag and drop builder tool.
- No coding knowledge required.
- Comes with more than 300 designer templates.
- Has 50+ widgets to choose from.
- Responsive design.
- Provides great support.
Pricing: It is the best WordPress page builder plugin and is free to use. You can also get its premium version starting from $49/year which comes with additional builder features.
WPForms is the best WordPress contact form plugin. Using it, you can very easily make forms for your website. It has many templates that you can choose from and with its easy drag and drop builder tool, designing one is no hassle too.
Creating contact forms, email subscription forms, and other types of forms just take a few clicks to set up and design. You can easily integrate it with email marketing to grow your newsletter and email list.
- Beginner-friendly and easy drag and drop WordPress contact form builder tool.
- It comes with pre-built templates.
- Mobile-friendly and responsive design.
- Uses smart conditional logic to easily create high-performance forms.
- Easily integrate it with email marketing and payments portal.
- Protects from spam submissions.
- Different add-ons are available.
WPForms is the best WordPress contact form builder plugin.
Pricing: Although it’s a free plugin, you can still subscribe to the premium version to get more features like collecting payments and conducting surveys. Premium costs around $79/year but can go low as $39.5/year during offers.
Smush is the best WordPress Image Optimization plugin. Images make your site more attractive and engaging. It is important to grab the attention of viewers. But uploading images without compression can cause your site to load slower because of large size images.
Compressing the images and media files in your site helps decrease your site load time by a lot. For a smooth and fast website, it is important to compress and optimize image files. Smush automatically compresses your images and eliminates the manual hassle for compressing.
It doesn’t reduce the quality of your images and optimizes it using advanced compression algorithms.
- Automatically compresses the image file on a new upload.
- Retains the quality of the image file.
- Increase the speed of your site without reducing quality.
- Optimization is done via a smush server, so it doesn’t require your resources.
- It can bulk compress up to 50 attachments at a time.
Smush image compressor is free to use and the best image compressor plugin for WordPress.
Pricing: You can get the free version of Smush plugin for WordPress. You can also get the pro version starting at around $70/year with additional features like 24/7 support, live onboarding support, and backup original files.
One of the best performance plugins for WordPress, Perfmatters is a must-have plugin for every website. The main purpose of Perfmatters is to help you boost your website’s speed by optimizing WordPress settings and disabling unnecessary features.
Perfmatters has a lot of advanced features through which you can block virtually every service (emojis, queries, comments, and more) except the ones required to run your website. This is also made easy with toggles. You can toggle those services on or off through this plugin.
- Disables virtually every service for your website except the most vital ones.
- Quick toggle options allow you to toggle services on or off in a single click.
- Database optimization helps filter spam requests, comments, and auto-drafts to increase your website’s speed.
- Disables unnecessary scripts that are not required to run your website.
Pricing: Starting at $24.95/year for the Personal Plan.
MemberPress is the #1 most popular WordPress membership plugin available on the web. This plugin helps you create a full-fledged membership website and manage memberships with ease. A membership website allows you to deliver your content according to the membership levels of your users.
MemberPress has a unique feature that separates it from other membership plugins. That is your members having access to more than one membership at a time. It’s useful if you have a lot of content and your users must go through them in serial order.
- The “Access Rules” feature helps you protect your content and only allows authorized members to access it.
- MemberPress provides unlimited members and unlimited membership levels so you can have a lot of members.
- Allows members to pause or restart their membership.
- Allows you to group products for different member types.
- You can also set custom time periods for recurring payments that help you cut the sweat during a sale that occurs periodically.
Pricing: Starting at $129/year for the Basic Version.
The Learning Management System (LMS) refers to a program that allows teachers and learners to create online courses and run them. If you want to offer any courses online, then LearnDash is the plugin you should pick. This plugin makes it easy for you to put your course out on the internet and gain students for it.
LearnDash has a variety of features that helps you grow your course as well as helping your students learn in the best possible way. The most unique feature of LearnDash is that you can have a “Focus Mode”. Through this, your students can learn in a distraction-free online environment.
- You can set access to courses based on some prerequisites that the students must complete.
- LearnDash has a drag-and-drop course builder which allows you to create your course very easily if you have it’s content ready.
- Advanced Quizzing allows your students to test themselves with 8 different types of questions, question banks, and more.
- Dynamic Content Delivery makes it so that your students don’t miss out on a particular lesson.
Pricing: Starting at $99.50/year for the Basic Plan.
All-in-One WP Migration is the best free WordPress migration plugin. It helps you export your WordPress website with little to no technical effort. It’s very easy to install and use.
All-in-One WP Migration helps transfer your website to another website platform. This includes your database, plugins, themes, and media files. It also provides an option to apply an unlimited number of find and replace operations on your database during the export process.
- No limitations on the host or operating system.
- Unlimited export size, meaning you don’t have to compress everything to export your files.
- Doesn’t require any PHP extensions to operate.
- It supports both MySQL and MYSQLi.
- Dozens of premium extensions.
If you’re in need of a custom coming soon, maintenance mode, or landing pages and don’t have much technical knowledge, then this plugin is the one for you. SeedProd gives you the option to create all these pages of your choice for free.
This plugin makes it easier for you to create a coming soon page if you have a product or service that’s arriving on your website shortly. It’s completely beginner-friendly as the interface is drag-and-drop. Let’s look at some more features it offers.
- Works with every WordPress theme.
- Easy to use with drag-and-drop page builder.
- Build your custom page however you like.
- Headline block, text block, image block, and more for better customization.
- Easy addition of custom CSS and HTML.
- Very responsive.
Pricing: Free or $39.50/year for the Basic Version.
Modula Image Gallery is a must-have gallery plugin to add a gallery to your website. It’s useful for almost any kind of website, from blogs to eCommerce stores. The plugin is very responsive and doesn’t slow down your website.
If you’re looking for a secure gallery plugin that not only showcases your pictures beautifully but also protects them, this is the way to go. It gives you image security by cutting off right click and keyboard shortcut features to download images. It has a lot of features to make your website stand out.
- Video extensions allow you to combine videos with your images.
- Password protection allows you to encrypt your gallery with passwords.
- Right-click protection prevents anyone from downloading your pictures by disabling the save image feature.
- The slider allows you to convert your gallery into a beautiful slider.
- You can also create albums in your gallery with the Albums feature.
- Import/Export tool allows you to migrate your images to another website with little effort.
Pricing: You can get this plugin for free or $25/year for the Starter Version.
17. Smart Slider 3
One of the best slider creation plugins on the internet is Smart Slider 3. This plugin allows you to create sliders on your website with minimum effort. It has a beautiful user interface, is responsive, and works with any WordPress theme.
The plugin doesn’t slow down your website and doesn’t require any technical knowledge to operate. It can be installed directly from the WordPress plugin repository.
- Position editors allow you to edit the position of your sliders on your website.
- Slide library has a lot of pre-made slides to help you start making sliders.
- Full WordPress integration.
- 9 smooth background animations for your sliders.
- SEO optimized.
- Allows you to create dynamic slides.
If you’re looking for a WordPress multilingual plugin that can translate your pages, then you’re in the right place. WPML is a plugin that does just that and it does translations accurately.
It lets you translate all your content into any language with high accuracy. Moreover, it has a separate dashboard to edit translations or to outsource to professional translators. This ensures that your pages are translated with the highest quality.
- Compatible with all WordPress themes and plugins.
- 100+ languages to translate to.
- Help from professional translators, if needed.
- Translations updated in real-time.
- SEO optimized even in new languages.
Pricing: $29/year for the Multilingual Blog Version.
If you need a newsletter form on your website, this is a must-have plugin. Mailchimp is the go-to newsletter software that helps you create better newsletters through various methods. And this plugin lets you easily connect your WordPress site with Mailchimp and start sending emails to your subscribers.
You can also create good-looking option forms, or integrate with any form on your website with the help of this plugin. It also has excellent integration with a lot of plugins for WordPress.
- Lots of add-ons available for download.
- Good-looking and user-friendly newsletters.
- Well-optimized for all kinds of devices.
- Smooth integration with plugins like Contact Form 7, WooCommerce, Ninja Forms, and more.
- Well-documented newsletters.
Pricing: Free or $59/year for the Hobbyist Plan.
If you have a website that supports donations or exclusively does donations, GiveWP is the best plugin for you. This is a donation plugin that manages donations and fundraising very well.
It has a variety of features that make this plugin a must-have for donation websites. You can customize donation forms, view analytics related to the donation, accept charitable gifts, and more with this plugin.
- Simple and powerful donation forms.
- A complete report of your donation or fundraiser forms.
- A complete report of your donors and their activity.
- Generate tax-deductible donations and integrate with many third-party services with the help of GiveWP API.
Pricing: Free or $180/year for the Plus Plan.
We hope that this article helped you learn about the best WordPress plugins and tools for your site in 2021. We hope that you learn what is actually working in 2021 and why they are the best from the article.
Although they’re the best ones for the certain features they offer, choosing the plugin for your site depends on your needs. Still, this article works as a great reference for what plugins to get.
You may also want to check our article on the best WordPress themes.